University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Transfer Students

We are glad you have chosen to transfer to our institution and want to help make this transition as smooth as possible for you. As you make this adjustment to University of Idaho, there are a variety of resources that can assist you in making this transition.

We understand that adjusting to a new school can be difficult. Academic advising resources are located to the left to assist you in making this transition. These resources include a variety of tools including: contacting your advisor, understanding transfer credit and adjusting to our online registration system.

Get more information about setting up your accounts on the OIT VandalSetup page.


Account This account will provide you access to:
  • Class registration
  • Your grades
  • Your class schedule
  • Your fees and billing information
  • Scholarship and financial aid awards and information
  • Housing information
Student Lab/Blackboard
  • Student computer labs
  • Your personal "H:" drive (Web server space on the University's site)
  • Shared lab printers
  • Unix services at
  • Blackboard (online classes)

This is your student email account. The University of Idaho will correspond with you through this account. Some of the information you will want to look for is:

  • Scholarship and financial aid
  • Faculty communications regarding assignments

Your academic advisor is a faculty or staff member in your department that will help guide you through your time at the University of Idaho. If you are unsure who your advisor is, please visit Find Your Advisor. Along with class selection, your advisor will help you clarify career goals, connect with clubs and activities, and access the resources necessary for you to be successful. Academic advising is an integral part of the Vandal experience, which is why you are required to meet with your advisor every semester.

Before you can register for classes, you are required by university policy to see your academic advisor. During this appointment, you will have a chance to evaluate your past semester and discuss your plans for the next semester. To get the most out of this appointment, it is best to have a list of courses you would like to take. You and your advisor will select courses which best fit into your degree program. Once you have a schedule, your advisor will remove your advising hold and you can register through VandalWeb according to the registration schedule.

If you are not sure who your advisor is, visit Find Your Advisor. If you are unsure of your major, contact the Admissions Office at 208-885-6163.

Most transfer students are unsure who their advisor is when they arrive on campus. To find out who your advisor is, please go to Find Your Advisor. 

It is University of Idaho policy to send all official University-related messages to students through their assigned email account. Be sure to check your email frequently for messages from your advisor. However, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have made contact with your advisor and set up a time for pre-registration advising. Remember: you cannot register until your advisor hold is removed.

If you do not know your VandalMail ID or are having trouble logging into the system, contact the help desk at You may also visit them in room 128 of the TLC from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. or call 208-885-4357. Additional information is available on their website.

Some advisors allow “drop-in” visits. If your advisor has indicated they permit drop-ins, be sure you are aware what times they have indicated to stop by and only expect to see them during those times.

No matter how you choose to communicate with your academic advisor, remember to check your University VandalMail account in October for messages from your advisor! Doing this will reduce your stress during a very busy time in the academic year.

University of Idaho evaluates all credits earned and grades received for admitted undergraduate students in college-level courses at regionally accredited institutions. Credits earned at international institutions or during study abroad are also evaluated for transfer. Credits from non-regionally accredited institutions are not accepted for transfer. However, students may petition the University Curriculum Committee to review credit received at a non-regionally accredited institution; click on the link above if you are interested in petitioning for credit.

Before sending your transcripts, you can review the Transfer Guides. First, select the state and then the institution you attended. You will see courses that we have evaluated from other institutions and what University of Idaho courses (or elective credit) they are equivalent to. These guidelines are a historical representation of the course offerings of the institutions, so all courses listed may not be active. An official evaluation of your transfer work will be completed upon your acceptance to the university.

Visit the Registrar's Transfer Credit page to learn more about articulation agreements.

Visit the Registrar's site to learn about State Board of Education Core Information.

Navigating VandalWeb

Navigate to VandalWeb and login by entering your net ID and password. You may, alternatively, use your Active Directory Username and Password for your login to VandalWeb.

There are registration deadlines each semester; VandalWeb will not be available for registration actions beyond the noted deadlines.

All registration actions require the student to click the Submit Changes button in order to process and save the requested action.

Visit the Registrar’s office webpage for additional registration instructions.

VandalWeb allows students and their advisors to check their degree progress at any time. Students can access their degree audit report under the Student Records/Grades/Degree Audit menu. If you are seeking two degree programs, there is a drop-down option on the Degree field at the top of the degree audit to make a selection. There is also a What If option to allow you to explore other degrees and majors. You can view the Introduction to Degree Audit page for a general overview with tips and tricks for accessing and reading your degree audit.

Undergraduate Students

For undergraduates, the degree audit lists all requirements for their declared major including core, department, and college requirements. Undergraduate degree audits update automatically with each change of major and at the end of each term after grades are posted. Declared minors and academic certificates will appear in the degree audit with their requirements.

Upon approval from their academic advisor and department chair (and college, if required), undergraduate students may submit a Degree Audit Substitution/Waiver Request form for alternative degree, major, or minor requirements.

Learn more about reading your degree audit.

Each semester you and your advisor will choose classes to take during the next semester. You register for classes through your VandalWeb account. Make sure you understand the information found on the Office of the Registrar’s Registration website.

Contact Us

Physical Address:
Idaho Student Union Building 306

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 2436
Moscow, ID 83844-2436

Phone: 208-885-6300

Fax: 208-885-9494