323 Administration Building
Department of Politics and Philosophy
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 3165
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3165
- Ph.D., University of Georgia, 2015
- M.A., Universität Regensburg, 2009
Florian Justwan (Ph.D. University of Georgia, 2015) is an assistant professor of political science. His research interests are in the fields of international conflict, conflict management and political psychology. In particular, he focuses on the roles of heuristics and cognitive biases in the formulation of foreign policy and the formation of public opinion. Some of his most recent projects explore the effects of social trust on the conflict management behavior of democracies. Other research interests include social capital, post-conflict peace building and the interplay between international and domestic politics (especially with regards to international border disputes). Justwan’s work has appeared in various political science journals (for details, see “selected publications”).
- International Conflict
- International Conflict Management
- Border Disputes
- Political Psychology
- Social Trust and Social Capital
- Territorial Claims, Territorial Attachment and Political Tolerance: Evidence from India (With Sarah K. Fisher). Politics, Groups, and Identities. Forthcoming.
- Testing a Cognitive Theory of Deterrence (With Jeffrey Berejikian). In: Knopf, Jeffrey (ed.). Behavioral Economics and Nuclear Weapons. University of Georgia Press. Forthcoming.
- Social Media Echo Chambers and Satisfaction with Democracy among Democrats and Republicans in the Aftermath of the 2016 U.S. Elections (With Bert Baumgaertner, Juliet Carlisle, April Clark, and Michael Clark). Journal of Elections, Public Opinion & Parties. Forthcoming.
- Measuring Social Trust and Trusting the Measure (With Ryan Bakker & Jeffrey Berejikian). 2018. The Social Science Journal 55(2): 149-159.
- The Influence of Political Ideology and Trust on Willingness to Vaccinate (With Bert Baumgaertner & Juliet Carlisle). 2018. PLoS ONE 13(1): e0191728.
- Scaffolding Assignments and Activities for Undergraduate Research Methods (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2018. Journal of Political Science Education 14(1): 63-71.
- Generalized Social Trust and International Dispute Settlement (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. International Interactions 43(5): 717-743
- International Adjudication and Public Opinion in Territorial Disputes: Evidence from a Survey Experiment using Amazon Mechanical Turk (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy 23(3). 1-18.
- Trusting Publics: The Impact of Generalized Social Trust on the Decision to Pursue Binding Conflict Management. 2017. Journal of Conflict Resolution 61(3): 590-614.
- Classroom Convention: Teaching Comparative Constitutional Design through Simulation (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. Social Studies Research and Practice 12(1): 84-94.
- Disenfranchised Minorities: Trust, Definitions of Citizenship and Non-Citizen Voting Rights in Developed Democracies. 2015. International Political Science Review 36(4): 373-392.
- Nail-biters and No-contests: The Effect of Electoral Margins on Satisfaction with Democracy in Winners and Losers (With Patrick Howell). 2013. Electoral Studies 32(2): 334-343.