Associate Professor of Political Science
323 Administration Building
Department of Politics and Philosophy
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 3165
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3165
- Ph.D., University of Georgia, 2015
- M.A., Universität Regensburg, 2009
- POLS 237: International Politics
- POLS 235: Political Research Methods and Approaches
- POLS 205: Introduction to Comparative Politics
- POLS 336: Political Research Methods and Approaches II
- POLS 385: Political Psychology
- POLS 307: Institutions of the European Union
- POLS J480/J580: Politics of Development
Florian Justwan (Ph.D. University of Georgia, 2015) is an assistant professor of political science. His work focuses on political psychology. In particular, his core research agenda is devoted to the study of foreign policy attitudes. In this context, Dr. Justwan has conducted original survey research in the United States, India, Belize and the United Kingdom.
In addition to this body of scholarship, Dr. Justwan maintains a side-research agenda on attitudes towards democracy, and he works as a methodologist in various interdisciplinary survey-research projects.
- Political Psychology
- Foreign Policy Attitudes
- Attitudes Towards Democracy
- The Effects of COVID-19 on External Political Efficacy (With Markie McBrayer & Bert Baumgaertner. American Politics Research. Forthcoming.
- Territorial Claims, Territorial Attachment and Political Tolerance: Evidence from India (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2021. Politics, Groups, and Identities 9(1): 190-207.
- Analyzing Mass Attitudes Towards the International Court of Justice (With Sarah K. Fisher, Ashley Kerr, Jeffrey Berejikian). 2021. Foreign Policy Analysis 17(2): 10.1093/fpa/oraa023.
- Social Trust and Public Opinion about Territorial Disputes: Evidence from a Survey in India (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2020. Journal of Global Security Studies 5(4): 617-633.
- Public perceptions of the European power hierarchy and support for a single European security and defense policy (With Gaspare M. Genna). 2020. The Social Science Journal 57(2): 230-244.
- Polarization Politics and Hopes for a Green Agenda in the United States (With April Clark, Juliet Carlisle, and Michael Clark). 2020. Environmental Politics 29(4): 719-745.
- Referenda As Commitment Devices – An Experimental Approach (With Sarah K. Fisher, Ashley Kerr, Jeffrey Berejikian). 2020. Research and Politics 7(3): 2053168020943419.
- Risk of disease and willingness to vaccinate in the United States: a population-based survey (With Bert Baumgaertner, Ben J. Ridenhour, Juliet E. Carlisle, Craig R. Miller). 2020. PLoS Medicine 17(10): e1003354.
- Surveying Indians’ Foreign Policy Orientations in Territorial Disputes: A Case Study (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2020. Journal of Territorial and Maritime Studies 7(1): 5-29.
- The effect of trust and proximity on vaccine propensity (With Bert Baumgaertner, Juliet Carlisle, Emma Carson & Jordan Kizer). 2019. PLoS ONE 14(8): e0220658.
- Testing a Cognitive Theory of Deterrence (With Jeffrey Berejikian). 2019. In: Anne I. Harrington and Jeffrey W. Knopf (eds.). Behavioral Economics and Nuclear Weapons. University of Georgia Press: Athens, GA.
- Social Media Echo Chambers and Satisfaction with Democracy among Democrats and Republicans in the Aftermath of the 2016 U.S. Elections (With Bert Baumgaertner, Juliet Carlisle,April Clark, and Michael Clark). 2018. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion & Parties 28(4): 424-442.
- Measuring Social Trust and Trusting the Measure (With Ryan Bakker & Jeffrey Berejikian). 2018. The Social Science Journal 55(2): 149-159.
- The Influence of Political Ideology and Trust on Willingness to Vaccinate (With Bert Baumgaertner & Juliet Carlisle). 2018. PLoS ONE 13(1): e0191728.
- Scaffolding Assignments and Activities for Undergraduate Research Methods (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2018. Journal of Political Science Education 14(1): 63-71.
- Generalized Social Trust and International Dispute Settlement (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. International Interactions 43(5): 717-743
- International Adjudication and Public Opinion in Territorial Disputes: Evidence from a Survey Experiment using Amazon Mechanical Turk (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy 23(3). 1-18.
- Trusting Publics: The Impact of Generalized Social Trust on the Decision to Pursue Binding Conflict Management. 2017. Journal of Conflict Resolution 61(3): 590-614.
- Classroom Convention: Teaching Comparative Constitutional Design through Simulation (With Sarah K. Fisher). 2017. Social Studies Research and Practice 12(1): 84-94.
- Disenfranchised Minorities: Trust, Definitions of Citizenship and Non-Citizen Voting Rights in Developed Democracies. 2015. International Political Science Review 36(4): 373-392.
- Nail-biters and No-contests: The Effect of Electoral Margins on Satisfaction with Democracy in Winners and Losers (With Patrick Howell). 2013. Electoral Studies 32(2): 334-343.
- Curriculum Vitae pdf