The Legend of Joe Vandal
Joe's epic journey began in 1956. From the very first papier-mâché head introduced by yell leader Bill Currie, to an inflatable that Vandal fans still love to hate, to his current well-muscled vibe — Joe's been through it all. Wins, losses, rivalries, shenanigans, fans, parades and street fairs are at the top of his list of favorite things. The self-proclaimed "Vandal Spirit Superintendent" loves a good practical joke almost as much as he loves Idaho fans. He’s outgoing, friendly, active, fun loving and lovable, but mischievous at every opportunity. Joe is immensely proud to be who he is — a Vandal — and proud to represent his beloved university.
Joe stands high above the rest (seriously, he's tall) and is the only Vandal mascot out there — not like those Eagles, Bobcats, Lumberjacks, Bears and Bengals. Find out where he will be, request an appearance and check out videos, gifs and photos below.
Joe Vandal - An Anthology
More About Joe
Along with being a well-rounded and experienced athlete-mascot, Joe is skilled in tomfoolery, shenanigans, crowd merriment and the art of enhancing team spirit. He's a joyful joker who can make children laugh (and cry) and his significant skills include turning adults into children, cleaning up well, dancing, commanding center stage and mischief making.
- The ultimate multisport year-round athlete at U of I
- Appears at more than 500 sporting and non-sporting events each year
- Known for his goofy antics both on and off the field
- Talents include: Posing for gifs, dancing, charming adults, children and most dogs, escorting fans to their seats, leading parades, listening and taking excellent pictures.
- Performed a daredevil splits stunt involving two semi-trucks in 2013 (not to be repeated)
- Still the best and only Vandal mascot in the world
- Hung out with John Friesz, John Yarno and John Smith, Olympian Dan O'Brien, Hall of Famer Jerry Kramer, Leilani Mitchell, Mark Schlereth, Ray McDonald, Kelli Johnson, Gus Johnson, Kaden Ellis, Mike Iupati, Tara VanDerveer and President Scott Green.
Personal Friends & Influences
- Every coach in the athletic department
- President Scott Green
- The Vandalizers
- Vandal Spirit Squad
- The Tubas
- Vandal Marching Band
- University of Idaho Employees
- Butch T. Cougar
Rivals & Enemies
- All things Bo*se St*te