Fall 2022 Freshman Class is the Largest in Recorded History, up 17.8 Percent
The freshman class entering the University of Idaho this fall is the largest in recorded history of the university – up 17.8% -- and contributes to an overall 1.8% total increase.
Overall student enrollment at the University of Idaho for the fall 2022 is 11,507 students, up from fall 2021 enrollment of 11,303 students. The increase is in several categories: first-year students, first year law, and overall undergraduate.
“Students and their families understand that we offer nationally competitive programs at an Idaho price,” said U of I President Scott Green. “The experiences our students have at our destination campus are impactful, meaningful and relevant.”
Increase in overall non-resident undergraduate enrollment
Increase in WUE
Increase in New Idaho resident first-year enrollment
Increase in international undergraduate enrollment
Increase in first-year student undergrad
First-year student undergraduate enrollment is 1,951, up 17.8% over enrollment of 1,656 in fall 2021 and is the largest freshman class in the recorded history of the University of Idaho. New Idaho resident first-year enrollment is up 9.8%
The WUE program provides a tuition discount to students outside Idaho and includes all 16 Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) states. Total WUE students in fall 2022 increased 20% to 1,698, up from 1,415 in 2021. Overall non-resident undergraduate enrollment (including non-WUE students) is up 15.3% or 321 students.
Graduate student enrollment is 1,956, up 0.6% this fall from 1,945 students in fall 2021.
Meet the Incoming Class
As part of the largest incoming U of I class in history, Averee Silva graduated from Jerome High School and plans to major in pre-veterinary science. “I want a career in agriculture because when I was going out to work with my dad, I was able to see how he truly loves his cows and how the dairymen really, truly do care for their cows. I want to be an advocate and an educator for the next generation for the dairy industry.” Read more.
U of I No. 1 in the West Three Years Running
The University of Idaho is the Best Value in the West – a U.S. News & World Report ranking it earned in both 2021 and 2022 and again in 2023.
The Best Value rankings compare overall quality of the institution related to its price and any need-based aid or discounts given. U of I ranks in the top 6% of all public universities on the Top Public School list.
Ranking for US News
- National Universities #176
- Top Public Schools - National Universities #87
- Best Value - National Universities #25
- Social Mobility - National Universities #69
- Best Undergraduate Business #164
- Best Undergraduate Computer Science #158
- #881 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- #381 in Computer Science
- #703 in Engineering (tie)
- #413 in Environment/Ecology (tie)
- #310 in Geosciences
- #256 in Plant and Animal Science
Graduate School Rankings
- Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs #79-104
- Best Education Schools #131
- Best in Law Schools #142
- Best Fine Arts Programs #171 (tie)
- #100 in Biological Sciences (tie)
- #176 in Chemistry (tie)
- #159 in Computer Science (tie)
- #100 in Earth Sciences (tie)
- #176 in Mathematics (tie)
- #155 in Physics (tie)
- #170 in Best Public Affairs Programs (tie)
- #55 in Rehabilitation Counseling (tie)