Plan Your Research
Issues to consider when planning your research or analyzing your data
We often find that our work in consulting is aided if the client has considered certain issues before their first meeting with us. The following general ideas are useful to review before planning your research or before analyzing your data.
- What is the scientific question of interest?
- Do you plan to perform exploratory analyses, confirmatory analyses, or both?
Issues in the Design and Analysis of Experiments
- What is the experimental unit in your experiment?
- Will you have a priori contrasts to test?
- Will you use post hoc (multiple comparison) tests?
- Do you have unbalanced data?
Issues in the Design and Analysis of Surveys
- Are you planning to do a survey or a census?
- Have you budgeted the necessary resources to minimize non response?