Brink Hall 313
Department of Mathematics and Statistical Science
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 1103
Moscow, ID 83844-1103
- 1998 Doctor of Arts, Mathematics, Idaho State University, Pocatello Thesis: Cone-Preserving Linear Maps, Advisor: Richard Hill
- 1994 Master of Arts, Mathematics, Indiana University, Bloomington 1991
- Master of Science in Mathematics, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro 1990
- B.S. in Mathematics Education, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro
Proof and reasoning teaching and learning and the knowledge needed for effective mathematics instructional coaching in elementary and middle grades
David Yopp's interests include proof and reasoning teaching and learning and the knowledge needed for effective mathematics instructional coaching in elementary and middle grades. He is the co-principal investigator on the $3.5 million NSF-funded DRK-12 Grant Examining Mathematics Coaching, EMC. He has published in the Journal for Mathematical Behavior, Investigation in Mathematics Learning, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, Teaching Children Mathematics, the MAA Focus, and Linear Algebra and Its Applications, among others.
- National Science Foundation Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12) (NSF DRK-12 Award #0918326)
Examining Coaching in Elementary (K-8) Mathematics Classrooms (2009-2014)
$3,499,314 to conduct a research study on instructional coaching in elementary mathematics classrooms
PI: Yopp, David, Montana State University
Co-PIs: Burroughs, Elizabeth, Montana State University; Sutton, John, RMC Research Corporation.
- Montana State University Retention Grants. A mastery intervention in college algebra. $9958 to conduct retention and success research in college algebra (2011-2012)
PI: Hays, Tom
Co-PI: Yopp, David
- Idaho sub-award of a U. S. Department of Education Mathematics/Science Partnership Grant (MSP)
Strengthening Strands: Improving Math Content and Pedagogy in Middle School Teachers for Minidoka and Cassia Counties (2006-2009)
$495,000 to conduct a research study on the effects of professional development provided community college STEM faculty on the teaching practices of middle school teachers.
PI: Yopp, David, The College of Southern Idaho.
Co-PI: Meade, Constance, The College of Southern Idaho.
- Coach Trainer, Browning School District, 2008.
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, MSU Center for Learning and Teaching in the West, 2008
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, Montana Learning Center, 2008
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, Montana State University-Billings, 2008
- External Evaluator, Strengthening Strands, Idaho Math Science Partnership Grant, 2007-2009.
- Internal Evaluator, Gallatin to Glacier, Montana Math Science Partnership Grant, 2007-2008.