Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist — Plant Pathologist
Parma Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
29603 U of I Lane
Parma, ID 83660-6699
James offers a range of diagnostic tests and advice to growers. His research program characterizes plant pathogens and developing new diagnostic methods for diseases across a range of crops.
Ph.D., Harper Adams University College, UK, 2004
M.Sc., University of Wolverhampton, UK, 2000
B.Sc., (Hons) University of Wales, Bangor, UK, 1999
- New methods for detecting and characterizing plant pathogens.
- Epidemiology and management of plant diseases.
- Oversees Plant Clinic at Parma Research and Extension Center.
- Muzhinji N, Woodhall JW , Truter M , van der Waals JE, 2016. Population genetic structure of Rhizoctonia solani AG 3-PT from potatoes in South Africa. Fungal Biology 120, 701-710.
- Armitage AD, Barbara D, Harrison RJ, Lane C, Sreenivasaprasad S, Woodhall J, Clarkson JP, 2015. New highly variable phylogenetic loci identify discrete evolutionary lineages within Alternaria alternata species group that are supported by morphological characters. Fungal Biology, 119, 994-1006.
- Muzhinji N, Truter M, Woodhall JW, van der Waals JE, 2015. Anastomosis groups and pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia solani and binucleate Rhizoctonia associated with potato in South Africa. Plant Disease, 99, 1790-1802
- Sturrock CJ, Woodhall J, Brown M, Walker C, Mooney SJ and Ray RV, 2015. Elucidating the mechanism of damping off disease caused by Rhizoctonia solani anastomosis group 2-1 on root traits of wheat (Triticum aestivum) and oil seed rape (Brassica napus) using X-ray computed tomography and real-time PCR. Frontiers in Plant Science 6, article 461.
- Woodhall JW, Adams IP, Peters JC, Harper G, Boonham N, 2013. A new quantitative real-time PCR assay for Rhizoctonia solani AG3-PT and the detection of AGs of Rhizoctonia solani associated with potato in soil and tuber samples in Great Britain. European Journal of Plant Pathology. 136, 273-280.