English Language Proficiency Options
The most common and widely accepted test is the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Our institution code for the TOEFL is 4843.
The following are acceptable as proof of English Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum overall score of 79
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): minimum overall score of 6.5
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): Minimum overall score of 77
- PTE A (Pearson Test of English Academic): Minimum overall score of 58
- U of I American Language & Culture Program (ALCP) with score of a Level 6/Advanced Pass
- U.S. Education Earned Bachelor, or higher, degree at accredited U.S. institution
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum Overall 110 (this test is only accepted temporarily)
A waiver for this requirement is automatically granted to applicants whose education is from countries where English is an official/native language. For more information, visit our English language countries page.
- All tests must have been taken within two years of the semester you are applying.
- Some graduate programs have a higher requirement. If so, you will need to take the TOEFL, or equivalent test, and obtain the higher score prior to be granted regular admission.
- Some graduate programs allow "conditional admission", which means admission may be granted to applicants who qualify academically, but have not yet achieved U of I minimum English language requirements. To view information and a list of programs accepting students on conditional admission, visit our conditional admission webpage.