University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Resources for Planning Your International Experience

Resources for Planning Your International Experience

When choosing a program, cost is an important factor to take into consideration. Early on in the process, you should evaluate what you are able to afford for your international experience and look at the resources you have available to you (loans, grants, scholarships, family support, savings, etc.) Discuss your concerns and questions with an Education Abroad Advisor early on to take advantage of scholarship opportunities and get advice on programs that may fit your budget. As you explore different programs, countries and length of stay, take note of program costs and what is included. Keep in mind your level of comfort; do you want a program with a lot of support or are you an experienced traveler and ready for a more independent experience? This differentiation may be an important factor in determining the right type of program and the cost of the program you choose.

A good starting point to determine what you can and cannot afford is to look at the University of Idaho estimated costs of attendance including tuition and fees, room and meals (board), books and supplies, transportation, miscellaneous and personal expenses (including health insurance). *Note the costs listed are for one academic year. This gives you an idea of what you usually spend in a year and you will be better able to decide how much, if any, you would be able to afford beyond these figures.

As you identify programs of interest, use this Budget Planning Worksheet to understand the full costs of your term abroad and compare one location to another from the standpoint of cost.

Read more information about Financial Aid and Scholarships.

As you search for an appropriate program, think about what you want to accomplish academically. Look for programs with offerings that line up with courses you need for your degree. When you talk to an Education Abroad Advisor, this topic is thoroughly covered.

As a part of the U of I study abroad application, you are required to complete a Course Planning Form. This form will determine how the courses you take abroad will transfer back to the U of I. If you have specific degree requirements that will need to be met while studying abroad, it will be even more important to discuss your programs of interest with an Education Abroad Advisor and work closely with your Academic Advisor.

Note: U of I course equivalents have already been determined for USAC Specialty Programs. These equivalents can be found on the U of I Registrar’s website.

Education Abroad will ensure that while you are studying abroad, you are registered at the U of I for a block of placeholder credits. This allows students to remain active within the U of I system and receive any financial aid/scholarships they would normally receive while at the U of I. During the semester, students are registered for a block of 12 credits (the actual number of credits they take abroad will transfer back once their transcript is received by the U of I). Summer participants are registered for the exact number of equivalent U of I credits that they take abroad. When the transcript is received by U of I upon completion of your term abroad, the placeholder credit will be replaced with the exact courses you took and grades you received.

The exception to this rule are students attending a Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) Program. FSIT students will register themselves for the appropriate U of I course associated with the trip.

Remember: Students must take a minimum of the equivalent of 12 University of Idaho credits per semester (9 for graduate students) while abroad. Maintaining full-time student status is important for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and for maintaining immigration status abroad. Further credit and registration information is included in the Survival Guide, which you will read as part of your U of I student abroad application process.

Continue to complete all required application materials (details are in your U of I online study abroad application). An important part of the U of I application is to read through the U of I Survival Guide. It has many important details that will help you have a successful and safe experience abroad! In addition, you will be required to attend a U of I Pre-Departure Orientation in-person.

Here are some important items to make sure you address:

Passport and Visa


If you do not already have one, get your passport right away. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after you return from your experience abroad. Find the application and instructions here.

Follow the instructions on the form, gather appropriate proofs of identity, and go to your local passport services office to submit your application. In Moscow, you can submit your passport application at the US Post Office on 5th St or the Latah County Courthouse on Adams St.


Depending on where you are going, you may need to apply for a visa. A visa is a stamp or sticker in your passport allowing you entrance into a specified country for a specified reason and period of time. You will receive general visa information either from your program provider, your host university, or the U of I Education Abroad Office, however, it is your responsibility to determine specific requirements for your visa and get your visa in a timely manner. In many cases you will need several months to apply for your visa prior to your departure so start looking into this as soon as you have been accepted by your program.

Medical and Health

Many destinations require or recommend that you get certain immunizations prior to departure. Check the Center for Disease Control to see what shots or prescriptions you might need. It is very important that you get started on this early, as some of the immunizations need to be taken in a series, spanning several weeks or months. You should also schedule an appointment with your general health practitioner or family doctor for a travel physical.

If you take medication on a regular basis, be sure to discuss it with your doctor and inform your program as well. Keep in mind some medications available in the U.S. are not available or may even be illegal in other countries. Be sure to look into this many months prior to your departure so you have time to make appropriate arrangements.


All U of I students participating in university-travel will either be provided with sufficient international medical insurance by their program provider or will be required to purchase U of I Education Abroad insurance that meets university requirements for international travel. If you are required to purchase the U of I Education Abroad Insurance, it will be noted within your online U of I Study Abroad application.

Flight Arrangements

Students will be responsible for making their own flight arrangements. Some programs offer group flights and will provide specific flight information after your application has been accepted.

Deadlines for applying to study, research, intern, do service or field work abroad:

Term Abroad



April 1

Fall Break

May 1

Academic Year

April 1

Winter Intersession

October 15


October 15

Spring Break

January 31

Summer April 1

Summer FSIT

December 1

Non-Study Abroad Travel
(Ex. Conferences, meetings, short-term research activities)

30 Days Prior to Departure

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC #3, Ground Floor

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859