University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

U.S. Passport Information

Passports are required for all international travel. If you plan to travel or study abroad in the future, apply for your passport now! As a rule of thumb, you should apply at least six months before planned travel, but depending on your study abroad plans, you may consider applying earlier than that.

Fall 2024 Getting a U.S. Passport Info Sessions

  • 3 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3
  • 2:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 7
  • 2:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1

Registration required for all info sessions using the online form.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Complete the paperwork.
  2. Get a passport photo.
  3. Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship.
  4. Provide identification.
  5. Pay the fee.
  6. Submit your application.

Read on below for detailed instructions on how to apply for a U.S. passport.

Most students will need to obtain a passport book, rather than a passport card. The card is a wallet-sized travel document that can only be used to re-enter the U.S. at land border crossings and seaports of entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card is a less expensive, smaller and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea. The card cannot be used for international travel by air.

The U.S. Department of State form wizard can help you decide which form is right for you, or you can read on below.

All forms can be downloaded from the U.S. Department of State website, or you can use the Form Filler found on the same webpage.

Form DS-11:

  • Applying for an adult (17-years-old or older) U.S. passport book or card for the first time.
  • Current U.S. passport is valid but has been lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.

Form DS-64:

  • Used to report the loss or theft of a valid U.S. passport book or card.
  • Submitted with Form DS-11 and supporting documents to replace a previously lost or stolen passport.
  • Used alone to report the loss or theft of a passport even if you do not want a replacement passport.

Form DS-3053:

  • Minors under age 16.
  • Completed by the non-appearing parent.
  • Must be notarized within the last 90 days, and must be accompanied by a copy of the non-appearing parent's photo ID.
  • Submitted with Form DS-11.

Form DS-82:

  • To renew an existing, 10-year passport.
  • To replace a limited-validity passport that is more than 1 year old.
  • Only use if current passport was issued less than 15 years ago.
  • Only use if name on the application and the previous passport are the exact same (unless you are submitting a legal name change document or marriage certificate).
  • Only if the passport is undamaged and can be submitted by mail with Form DS-82.

Form DS-5504:

  • To request a name change.
  • To correct data errors (typos).
  • To replace limited-validity passports (if eligible).
  • You may submit Form DS-5504 by mail.

The International Programs Office offers free passport photo services. Fill out our request form to make an appointment.

If you are unable to come into our office for photos, Walmart, Walgreens, FedEx and the U.S. Post Office can also take and print passport photos for a fee.

Tips for taking a passport photo:

  • Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view.
  • You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
  • The photo must be taken within the last six months.
  • The background must be plain white or off-white.
  • Ensure correct sizing:
    • 2x2 inches (51x51 mm).
    • Face must be between 1-1 3/8 inches (25-35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
  • Print on matte or glossy photo quality paper and in color.
  • No glasses.
    • If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with the application.
  • No hats or head coverings.
    • If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public.
    • If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
    • The hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.

Bring one original document plus one photocopy:

  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county or state of birth.
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth.
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names.
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth).
    • Has the registrar's signature.
    • Has the seal or stamp from the city, county, or state which issued it.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

A note about name changes: If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your original document, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include: marriage certificate, divorce decree, court-ordered name change document.

You can either submit one (1) primary ID or two (2) secondary IDs. Bring one photocopy (front and back) of each ID.

Primary ID (submit one):

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) — commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) — commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents. 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo or 3) temporary driver's license with photo.

Secondary IDs (submit at least two):

You must present one physical, primary ID which includes your photo. We cannot accept digital IDs. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs listed above, you should present at least two secondary IDs listed below.

  • Out-of-state driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit (without a photo)
  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID (without a photo)
  • Out-of-state, non-driver ID
  • Temporary driver's license (without a photo)
  • Social Security card
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee work ID
  • Student ID
  • School yearbook with identifiable photograph
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license
  • Form DS-71, for an Identifying Witness (only available at your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency).

A note about selecting your gender marker: You can select the gender marker you would like printed on your passport. The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID. The U.S. Department of State no longer requires medical documentation to change the gender marker on your passport. You can select male (M), female (F) or unspecified or another gender identity (X) as your gender marker if you are applying for a U.S. passport book or passport card.

Use the Fee Calculator on the U.S. Department of State website to determine the fee for your specific passport application, or view the Fee Chart.

There will be two fees:

  1. Application fee paid to the U.S. Department of State must be paid via check or money order.
  2. Execution/Acceptance fee paid to the acceptance facility (check with your acceptance facility to determine type of payment required).

In Moscow, you can submit your application to the U.S. Post Office, 220 E. Fifth St, by appointment only. Make an appointment online.

If applying outside of Moscow, use the U.S. Department of State website to find a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Passport Photo Appointment Request

Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859