University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Information for Faculty and Staff

The University of Idaho supports and encourages international study, work and research as an essential part of its academic mission. U of I Policy (APM 70.23) specifies important guidelines around international travel with and without students. Whether you are looking to develop or expand a research project, develop an institutional linkage with an overseas university, introduce international topics into your teaching, build collegial networks or enhance your personal international expertise and knowledge, Education Abroad can help.

Resources for Faculty & Staff

Education Abroad staff are always happy to come to your class to discuss study abroad program options with your students. Presentations can be tailored to last from ten minutes to the full class period; they can be low-tech or full PowerPoint presentations; and presentations can cover general education abroad options or can be specific to certain subject areas or regions of the world. Contact us using the button at the top of this page.

Credit Transfer

The Course Planning Form is a required part of all U of I Education Abroad applications. (When working on this fillable form, please download to your computer to enable the digital signature function.) This form has various purposes:

  • It allows for a student to determine (in coordination with their advisor) whether the courses count towards major/minor requirements, general education requirements or free electives in their degree audit.
  • It allows department chairs or their designees to determine how study abroad courses will articulate (transfer back) to the U of I.
  • If the course has a U of I equivalent, the Department Chair enters the U of I course equivalent information on the form. If the course does not have a U of I equivalent, the Department Chair enters 000 as the course number and determines if the course is worth upper-division, lower-division, or graduate-level credit and enters this information on the form.
  • It allows the student’s academic advisor to review the student’s full plan of study, discuss it with the student and sign the form giving their approval.
  • It allows the student’s college dean to approve upper-division coursework to count toward the U of I residency requirement.
  • It allows the Office of the Registrar to determine the number of U of I credits the student will receive for each course they takes abroad.
  • The form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office and kept on file in case any questions arise regarding credit transfer.
  • Students can submit new versions if their plans change. All original forms are kept as part of the U of I Education Abroad application.

Financial Aid

Students can typically use all of their grants, loans and scholarships for U of I affiliated education abroad programs. The only type of financial aid that is regularly disallowed are waivers and work study appointments. If the program costs more than it normally costs to study at U of I, it may be possible to get additional financial aid. Students should visit Student Financial Aid Services to determine what their award package will look like for an international experience.

Program Selection

The University of Idaho maintains a robust set of programmatic partners around the globe. If you are interested in learning more about current partners, please reach out to the Education Abroad staff and we can discuss training and promotional opportunities for faculty and staff members. The primary responsibility for programmatic advising lies with the Education Abroad staff in the International Programs Office, and you are always welcome to refer students to us. If you, however, want to learn more about programs that are particularly well suited to your specific student population, please let the Education Abroad staff know, and we will assist you in understanding the variety of options available to the students who you serve.

Academic Advising (While Abroad)

While abroad, students may need to be advised by email in order to prepare them for their return to the U of I. We recommend that this advising take place in the same timeframe as other students with the same class standing so that they can register on time.

Students will also need their Advisor Registration Hold removed. Once all holds are removed, students currently abroad can register for classes at the U of I as normal.

Transcripts (After Returning)

After students return, foreign transcripts are sometimes slow to follow. The normal time frame for this process is one to three months after the student completes their program. If you have any questions regarding the status of student transcripts, or have urgent requests, please reach out to Education Abroad.

Who Should Complete Faculty/Staff International Travel Registration?

  • Per U of I Policy (APM 70.23), all faculty and staff must register themselves in the International Travel Registration system for any international travel (or travel to a U.S. territory) that is in any way connected to the U of I. Territories are considered international for U of I Risk Management purposes. U.S. territories include:
    • American Samoa
    • Federated States of Micronesia
    • Guam
    • Midway Islands
    • Northern Mariana Islands
    • Puerto Rico
    • Republic of Palau
    • Republic of the Marshall Islands
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • If students will accompany faculty or staff abroad then the faculty/staff member leading them must complete a Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) Proposal, not an International Travel Registration. Once this is approved, students will be provided a link to complete their own materials as a part of the trip.
  • If students travel abroad without a faculty or staff member, they must complete the appropriate application, not the International Travel Registration. More details can be found here.

Additional Insurance Information

State of Idaho Foreign Liability Coverage: As a University of Idaho employee, you are automatically covered by the State of Idaho Foreign Liability Program provided by ACE American Insurance Company. This coverage is mainly for Liability, Auto Liability and Foreign Voluntary Workers Comp but has some emergency travel service coverage as well. It does not cover employees while they are in the U.S., its possessions or territories. Security evacuation is not available from Iraq or Afghanistan. Information about this coverage and instructions for creating a profile and downloading printable insurance cards will be available within the Travel Registration Form. 

Blue Cross of Idaho coverage abroad: If you are enrolled, there is also some international coverage provided by the U of I employee insurance program through Blue Cross of Idaho. You can find Blue Cross providers abroad at Blue Card Worldwide; however, many of these providers may not actually bill Blue Cross on your behalf. Also, Blue Cross may not have the network or connections needed at the time of the illness or injury to provide sufficient medical, medical evacuation or repatriation of remains services.

Supplemental insurance: Neither the State of Idaho nor the Blue Cross international coverages are considered sufficient. It is suggested that your department purchase supplemental insurance on your behalf for your international trip. This is an allowable expense on regular university budgets. Those traveling on a grant budget should check with their grant's PI. You can search a variety of policies to meet different needs through InsureMyTrip.

Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) is an excellent way for faculty or staff to offer life-changing international academic or service experiences to students. At the same time, faculty and staff can gain international experience, network with colleagues at foreign institutions, earn additional salary and learn new things that can help to internationalize the U of I curriculum upon return.

What is FSIT?

The university defines any university international travel led by a U of I employee that involves U of I undergraduate or graduate students, authorized third parties, alumni or the public as a Faculty/Staff-Led International Travel (FSIT) program. This may include but is not limited to travel for study, research, field-work, service, internship or volunteer work.

University Policy Regarding FSIT Programs

For an FSIT (as defined above) to be considered university sanctioned travel it must be approved by the International Programs Office via the processes laid out in U of I Policy (APM 70.23). This is to ensure that in the rare instance that something goes wrong (natural disaster, political upheaval, student injury, etc.) that you have a team of seasoned professionals working with you, and you have the protection that comes along with the program existing as U of I affiliated. Absent this U of I registration process, you will, by default, take the full personal liability of program execution individually upon yourself (including the responsibility for the well-being of each individual person participating in the program). Program registration also ensures that your FSIT will be handled in a manner consistent with U of I policy and national best practice standards.

Creating an FSIT

Consult with the Director of Education Abroad in the International Programs Office and review the FSIT Program Support Manual  for guidance through the program creation process.

Proposal Deadlines

FSIT proposals must be submitted by the following deadlines:

  • Fall, Fall Break, Winter Intercession: Dec. 1 of year prior to travel
  • Spring, Spring Break, Summer - Aug. 1 of year prior to travel

Teach Abroad

USAC Visiting Professor (VP) Program

The U of I, in collaboration with the USAC, offers international teaching opportunities to full-time faculty members (in good standing) for month-long summer or semester-long programs in one of USAC’s specialty programs around the world. USAC is seeking professors who:

  • Can offer at least one course that specifically relates to the teaching site, region, or nation, or is clearly international in nature, and may be taught in either English or the site’s native language (Spanish, French, etc.);
  • Have student evaluation summaries that reflect superior teaching abilities and written approval from their supervisor, and who will be returning to the U of I following the term abroad;
  • Are flexible regarding international living and working conditions and are willing to enthusiastically experience local culture with their students;
  • Are willing to contribute to the host university in addition to teaching the selected courses; and
  • Are willing to publicize the opportunity to their current and future students.


Mid-November two years prior to desired teaching assignment.

Semester Compensation

  • USAC offers three different options for compensation: faculty exchange, departmental reimbursement, and direct payment.
  • USAC provides airfare and assistance in locating housing abroad.
  • Visiting Professors may enroll in USAC courses at no cost. Qualified dependents of faculty may enroll in USAC courses at a discounted rate (additional expenses are the responsibility of the dependent).
  • Please contact Education Abroad staff for the current VP application with information and details.

Summer and January Session Compensation

  • Visiting Professors can apply to teach a one-credit course and will receive $1,500-1,850 (depending on the length of program) or a three-credit course for which they would receive $2,750-3,450.
  • USAC provides airfare and assistance in locating housing abroad.
  • Visiting Professors may enroll in USAC courses at no cost. Qualified dependents of faculty may enroll in USAC courses at a discounted rate (additional expenses are the responsibility of the dependent).
  • Please contact Education Abroad staff for the current VP application with information and details.

Teach Abroad with Harlaxton

U of I has recently partnered with Harlaxton College, a unique program in a stunning Victorian manor just an hour outside of London by train.

U of I faculty can apply to teach a summer course that runs late May through early July. Faculty generally teach one course. Once courses are approved, Harlaxton recruits for those courses and then decides which will be offered based on enrollment of students. These decisions are made in late January of the year of the program. Approved courses for the Harlaxton summer session pay a salary of $500 per student enrolled in your class.

Visiting Faculty with CIEE

Join CIEE as a guest instructor at one of the Global Institutes in Berlin, Cape Town, London, Madrid, Paris or Rome:

  • Share your expertise and strong record of teaching success in one of several disciplines: liberal arts; business; communications and new media; political science and international relations; foreign language and literature (French, German, Spanish and Italian); and health sciences;
  • Create an environment where U.S. students interact and collaborate with faculty in the classroom and through public events, lectures, and off-site activities;
  • Improve teaching practices and develop professional networks with academics from the host country and region; and
  • Connect relevant course content to host cultures and contexts.

Program Duration

Each course is 45 contact hours (60 for language courses) taught in either a six-week block during semester terms or a four-week session in the summer. You can choose how many courses (blocks, sessions) you would like to be considered for:

  • Summer: Three four-week sessions from late May to mid-August.
  • Fall: Three six-week blocks from mid-August to mid-December.
  • Spring: Three six-week blocks from mid-January to mid-May.


Visiting faculty will be compensated in the same range as local adjunct instructors at local market rates, on a sliding scale based on experience and educational preparation. In addition, housing or a housing stipend will be provided.


Visit the CIEE website for current information and application for this program. 

Faculty/Staff International Development Award (FIDA)

U of I and USAC invite faculty and professional staff who would like to spend a month overseas learning a new language and/or culture and who want to promote internationalization at the U of I to apply for a Faculty/Staff International Development Award. FIDA recipients attend a USAC summer program as a student, studying the local language and/or taking regional classes, enhancing their understanding of different cultures.


Applicants must be full-time assistant, associate, or full professors, or professional staff (full-time board appointed or exempt). Preference is given to applicants with limited experience living abroad and with limited first-hand knowledge of USAC. Applicants must be returning on contract to the U of I the following academic year.

Award Details

The number of awards given annually varies. Historically, two to five awards have been given. The award covers tuition for a selected one-month summer USAC program plus a stipend of $2,750 to be used for airfare, living expenses and incidental expenses. Housing, food, insurance, optional tours, and additional course costs are not included in the tuition waiver.


Mid-November for awards during the following summer.

Program Details

To learn more about the summer USAC programs available (descriptions of each location, tours available, course offerings, dates, and much more), go visit the USAC website and indicate “Summer” as the term at the top of the page. Note: specific summer sites are listed in the FIDA application, and not all summer programs are available for the FIDA.

Unfortunately, the FIDA program is not currently running.

Fulbright Opportunities

Each year, about 800 faculty and professionals from around the globe will travel to more than 140 countries to lecture and/or conduct research. For over 55 years, scholars have been crossing borders, encountering different cultures, gaining teaching and research insights, and sharing "the Fulbright experience." As a faculty or professional, there are many options for Fulbright service.

Award and application information on all of these programs can be found through the Comparative and International Education Society. Applicants may apply online. For assistance with your application please contact the U of I Distinguished Scholarships Program Faculty Fellow.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Grants

DAAD works to foster connections between scholars and institutions in North America and their counterparts in Germany by offering a number of programs to strengthen the links between academe in Germany and North America. These programs support both the activities of individual scholars and post-secondary institutions seeking to strengthen their international ties. Details on these opportunities can be found on the DAAD Faculty website.

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC #3, Ground Floor

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859