Preferred First Name
The University of Idaho has implemented the ability for students and employees to indicate their preferred first name for use across university systems and business processes. Below is a list of the systems and services that will utilize preferred first names. Also listed are the systems and services that will continue to use legal name due to relevant law, policy, regulation or mandate.
Some systems display a user’s middle name or middle initial alongside the preferred first name. Users that set their middle name as their preferred first name may see the name duplicated on some system interfaces. As of October 2021, systems that display middle names or initials include (but are not limited to) Marketplace, Degree Audit in VandalWeb (aka “Degree Works”) and the Banner Student and Employee Profiles.
The university reserves the right to remove a preferred name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language, or is being used for misrepresentation.
Note: If a preferred first name is not set, an individual's legal first name will be shown.
Contact email@example.com with questions, or to suggest additional systems or services (i.e. not listed below) that could utilize preferred first names.
Once a user sets their preferred first name in VandalWeb, that name will be used in these systems. Most systems will be updated overnight, but some systems may take up to a week to update. Additional systems not listed here may be integrated in the future to support use of preferred first name.
- Active Directory
- Alma (Library System)
- Campus Directory
- CDAR Access Portal
- CS Gold
- Microsoft 365 services (e.g. Outlook and Teams)
- POLYA math lab
- Simplicity Advocate and Simplicity Advocate GME
- Stellent (partially)
- VandalWeb (select sections, see tabs below)
- Faculty/Advisor tab (class list, grade entry, and student profile)
- Student tab/student profile
- Verba VitalSource
- Admissions Visa system, immigration documents, and Sunapsis system
- Chrome River
- Direct deposit and physical checks (e.g. student refunds)
- Faculty grants and legal documentation
- FAFSA, FSA, and Common Origination Disbursement
- Financial Award offer letters
- Heartland ECSI (aka "Salnet")
- Human Resources portion of Stellent
- Payroll and Accounts Payable forms/reports in Banner
- Personnel records, W-2s, pay checks, and benefits-related items
- Purchasing Card issuance and updates
- State of Idaho New Hire file
- State Scholarship portal, National Student Loan Database, and National Student Clearinghouse
- TA contracts and official communications with TAs
- Tax and loan documents
- University employment forms, offers/letters, and EPAF
- University job listing system
- University Transcripts and Diplomas
How to Set Your Preferred First Name
1. Navigate to Banner's Personal Information page
2. Click "Edit" in the top right corner of the Personal Details section
3. Type your preferred first name, then click "Update"
4. Your preferred first name should now be reflected in the Personal Details section