Preferred First Name
The University of Idaho is implementing the ability for students and employees to indicate their preferred first name for use across university systems and business processes. This functionality will be implemented in phases, with the first phase prioritizing systems that most impact students.
Below is a list of the systems and services that will utilize preferred first names, with an estimated implementation timeline for each. Also listed are the systems and services that will continue to use legal name due to relevant law, policy, regulation, or mandate. These lists and the estimated timeline will be updated throughout the implementation effort.
Note: If you previously provided a preferred name (e.g. for email), it will be overwritten when these changes are implemented in the relevant system. If you want to continue using a preferred first name, it must be set in VandalWeb as described below. If a preferred first name is not set, an individual's legal first name will be shown.
Contact email@example.com with questions, or to suggest additional systems or services (i.e. not listed below) that could utilize preferred first names.
Once a user sets their preferred first name in VandalWeb, that name will be used in these systems. Most systems will be updated overnight, but some systems may take up to a week to update. Additional systems will be integrated in the future to support use of preferred first name. A list of those systems will be posted as they are identified.
By January 6, 2021, preferred first name will be used in the following:
- BbLearn (aka "Blackboard")
- Active Directory
- Campus Directory
- POLYA math lab
- Microsoft 365 services (e.g. Outlook and Teams)
- Parts of VandalWeb Faculty/Advisor tab (class list, grade entry, and student profile)
- VandalWeb Student tab student profile
By or before July 30, 2021, preferred first name will be used in the following:
- Library system
- Vandal Card Office
- Simplicity Advocate GME
- Parts of Stellent
- University Transcripts
- Direct deposit and physical checks (e.g. student refunds)
- Tax and loan documents
- Financial Award offer letters
- Heartland ECSI (aka "Salnet")
- FASFA, FSA, and Common Origination Disbursement
- State Scholarship portal, National Student Loan Database, and National Student Clearinghouse
- Payroll and Accounts Payable forms/reports in Banner
- University employment forms, offers/letters, and EPAF
- Human Resources portion of Stellent
- Purchasing Card issuance and updates
- Personnel records, W-2s, pay checks, and benefits-related items
- Admissions Visa system, immigration documents, and Sunapsis system
- TA contracts and official communications with TAs
- Faculty grants and legal documentation
- Chrome River
- State of Idaho New Hire file
- University job listing system
How to Set Preferred First Name in VandalWeb
1. Log in to VandalWeb
2. Navigate to the "Personal Information" tab
3. Click "Review and Update Personal Information" (this will open in a new tab)
4. Click "Edit" in the top right corner of the Personal Details section
5. Type your preferred first name, then click "Update"
6. Your preferred first name should now be reflected in the Personal Details section