The University Surplus operation is a part of the Recycling Surplus and Solid Waste Division. Surplus manages the auction and sale of university assets that are no longer in active use.
Campus Surplus has updated the surplus process! There is no longer a separate form for submitting vehicles, and the General Surplus Request form has been moved to VandalWeb. This change allows your department, Asset Accounting and Campus Surplus to more accurately track and reference your assets in the surplus process. Which should be a big help during your annual inventory review. If you have any questions before or during the surplus process, please visit the Asset Accounting page and click on Forms to read through the step by step process as you surplus your items.
Start the process by visiting the Asset Change Request form.
Special note for laboratory equipment: All Laboratory equipment must be cleaned and inspected as per the University of Idaho policy. The University of Idaho Surplus will not accept any lab equipment without the Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Certification Form attached to the equipment that is being delivered. The purpose of the procedure is to maintain a safe environment for those picking up laboratory equipment as well as the Surplus staff who will be accepting the equipment.
Please note, Surplus does not pick up or deliver items from departments. Arrangements for pickup and delivery services can be made through City North American. If items from a laboratory arrive without the certification form noted above, the item will not be accepted at the Surplus and will be returned to the department at the sending departments’ cost. If you have any questions, please contact the Surplus office at 208-885-2091.
Surplus Store Hours
Campus Surplus is open on a limited basis as we continue to follow the Coronavirus Restrictions imposed by the State of Idaho and the university. The following are now being allowed:
- Because of the severe staffing shortage at Surplus/Solid Waste (SSW), State property drop offs will be by appointment only for a specific date and time for departments and project managers. SSW Staff will only assign a 30 minute window of time for accepting deliveries, and then will go about their other duties. SSW wants to avoid any overlap of deliveries and mixed contact between groups of people for health and safety reasons. If you need a longer time period for off-loading, SSW staff will book two adjoining 30 minute timeslots. The best way to make contact for an appointment is to email email@example.com or you may leave a phone message at 208-885-2091 for a callback. There are no SSW staff available to stand by the phone to take calls. Appointment times that are missed, will have to be rescheduled as other groups will be filling up the other drop off times. We recommend being on-time at the beginning of the assigned time slot period for dropping off surplus goods.
- Gates will remain closed and locked—do not place materials or equipment outside of gates, as these will not be counted as being received by SSW staff, and items will not be removed from a departments inventory list because of improper delivery. SSW staff must sign off on having received surplus goods.
- All department heads or project managers or delivery personnel should be wearing proper protective equipment upon arrival for offloading. Social distancing guidelines will be maintained by SSW staff, and they will not assist in the offloading procedures, but will direct those doing delivery to locations where they can place these surplus items.
- Drop Off times are from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 3:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This provides nine 30 minute time slots for accepting deliveries each day: 10-10:30 a.m.; 10:30–11 a.m.; 11–11:30 a.m.; 11:30 a.m.–noon, and 1-1:30 p.m.; 1:30-2 p.m.; 2-2:30 p.m.; 2:30-3 p.m.; 3-3:30 p.m.
- Public Surplus customers who purchased items prior to the Coronavirus restrictions going into place may also make appointments for pickup by contacting SSW via email or by leaving a phone message as well. SSW staff will not assist with loading of items, unless they can do so with a forklift for items that are properly palletized for loading.
- The University Surplus Store will be open every Monday starting September 21, 2020 from 10 a.m. - noon. and 1 to 3:30 p.m. Due to COVID, masks will be required to enter the store and a limited number of people will be allowed to enter at one time. Please note that the opening of the store is subject to the university decision in the opening of campus. For questions or to check the status of the store opening, please call Surplus Store at 208-885-2091.
Thanks very much for helping us all stay safe and healthy – The Surplus Team