Director of First-Year Composition; Senior Instructor
213 Brink Hall
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1102
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1102
Barbara Kirchmeier teaches writing, rhetoric, and composition theory.
- M.A., English, University of Idaho, 2005
- M.Ed., University of Idaho, 2003
- B.S., University of Idaho, 2000
Barbara Kirchmeier joined the faculty of the English Department at the University of Idaho in 2009. She is the Director of First-Year Composition and a Senior Instructor. Her teaching duties include Writing Workshop for Teachers, courses in professional writing and rhetoric, and first-year composition courses. Her administrative duties include training and mentoring English TAs, planning and implementing curriculum for first-year writing, and acting as the faculty liaison for dual credit instructors.
Barb attended U of I from 1996 until 2005, earning a B.S. in secondary education, an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction and an M.A. in English. Her graduate research included writing across the curriculum (specifically strategies for implementing writing-to-learn activities) and TA education.
Barb is a member of International Writing Centers Association, National Council of Teachers of English and participates in statewide conversations regarding First-Year Composition Across Idaho.
Barb lives in Moscow, Idaho with her husband Ben and their two children.
- Developmental and First-Year Writing
- TA Education
- Teacher Education
- Composition Theory and Pedagogy
- Online Writing Education Best Practices
- Business and Professional Writing
- Alumni Award for Excellence Mentor, University of Idaho, 2018
- Graduate Professional Student Association Teaching Excellence Award, Arizona State University, Spring 2007
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, University of Idaho, Spring 2005
- Graduate Research Excellence, University of Idaho, Spring 2005
- Vandal Helping Hand Award, University of Idaho, Spring 2004