Summit Course Topics
Delivered in a sophisticated retreat setting, the Summit features industry thought leaders grappling with the challenges of the 21st century energy industry.
A leading expert examines the energy consumer experience including the preferences and values shaping the energy marketplace.
- Gregory Guthridge, Global Managing Director, Accenture Retail and Business Services for Utilities
A diverse panel of industry stakeholders explore changing customer preferences, where businesses are going and how utilities fit into that future, and what the utility is going to look like in 2020.
- Art Justice, Vice President, Energy and Sustainability, Cinemark
- Shay Reed, Energy Buyer, Costco
- Jim Roth, Attorney, Phillips Murrah Law Firm
- Don Sturtevant, Corporate Energy Manager, Treasury, JR Simplot
Moderator: Jesse Langston, Vice President, Retail Energy (Retired), OGE Energy Corp.
A panel of Industry experts explore legal and regulatory issues facing the new utility marketplace including solar, electric vehicles, community energy, microgrids and storage, and home energy management.
- Marian Durkin, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, and Chief Compliance Officer, Avista Corp.
- David Falck, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Pinnacle West Capital Corporation
- Gordon Martin, Senior Vice President of Corporate and Administrative Services, Alabama Power Company
Moderator: Bill Bullard, Assistant General Counsel, OGE Energy Corp.
Leading expert Joe Herger will contrast the impacts of the energy transition in the United States with energy transitions in the European Union markets including energy policy frameworks, market designs, and business and investor models, as well as opportunities across emerging markets.
Industry experts Jesse Langston and Roger Woodworth discuss customers in the new marketplace.
- Jesse Langston, Vice President, Retail Energy (Retired), OGE Energy Corp.
- Roger Woodworth, Principal Consultant, Mindset Matters
Dan Dane examines how new competitive forces are impacting capital costs, credit availability, and investor confidence.
A panel of industry Chief Financial Officers will discuss the impact of demand-side efficiency programs, distributed energy resources, regulatory mandates and deploying capital.
- Brian Bird, Vice President and CFO, NorthWestern Corporation
- Suzanne Daugherty, Vice President and CFO, PJM Interconnection
- Mark Thies, Senior Vice President and CFO, Avista Corp.
Moderator: David Anderson, Senior Vice President and CFO, NW Natural
A panel of industry Chief Information Officers analyze cybersecurity, natural disasters, analytics and operation technology systems.
- David Harkness, CIO and Vice President, Xcel Energy
- James Kensok, Vice President and CIO, Avista Corp.
- Katherine Kountze-Tatum, Vice President and CIO, Eversource Energy
- Cristina McQuistion, Vice President, Strategic Planning and Performance Management Improvement, and Chief Information Officer, OGE Energy, Corp.
Moderator: Karen Lefkowitz, Vice President, Utility of the Future, Pepco Holdings, Inc.
Edison Electric Institute economist John Caldwell discusses key issues shaping the transformation of the electric industry.
A panel of operations officers examine the implications of renewable integration into the grid, grid modernization and resilience, fuel diversity and long-term resource strategy and generation facilities.
- Lisa Grow, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Power Supply, Idaho Power Company
- Eric Martuscelli, Vice President of Operations, Cascade Natural Gas Corporation
- Chris Olson, Vice President of Utility Operations, PNM
- Brad Tutunjian, Division Vice President, Minnesota Operations, CenterPoint Energy
- Anita Romero, Senior Vice President, Staff Operations and Technology, Southwest Gas Corporation
Moderator: Crawford Owens, Vice President, Global Business Development, Vesta Partners
Accenture’s managing director for utilities practice James Mazurek discusses key issues facing utilities as they strategize for the future.
Natural Resources Defense Council co-director Ralph Cavanagh will discuss current energy trends and related environmental factors.
Stellar instructors Ralph Cavanagh and David Owens will engage in a provocative point-counterpoint conversation on the industry and environment. The 64th annual Utility Executive Course attendees will join Summit participants and the UEC Advisory Board members in Coeur d’Alene for the rousing Cavanagh/Owens dialogue.
- Ralph Cavanagh, Co-Director, Energy and Transportation Program, Natural Resources Defense Council
- David Owens, Executive Vice President, Edison Electric Institute
A panel of senior leaders talk about the energy company of the future and consider the challenges of an increasing focus on sustainability, changing regulatory policies, advancing technologies and shifting consumer preferences and how they are working to convert these challenges into value for their customers and investors.
- Paula Gold-Williams, President and Chief Executive Officer, CPS Energy
- Mary Kipp, Chief Executive Officer, El Paso Electric Company
- Scott Prochazka, President and Chief Executive Officer, CenterPoint Energy
- Violet Sistovaris, Executive Vice President and President, Northern Indiana Public Service Co.
Moderator: Roger Woodworth, Principal Consultant, Mindset Matters
"The Summit is an excellent forum on the latest energy industry trends through an informed and knowledgeable set of speakers and a highly engaged group of attendees - very well done with great customer focus!”
Tom O'Brian, Vice President, Information & Technology Services PJM Interconnection, LLC.