Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are full-cost awards for graduate study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarships are for one to three years, with a possible extension to a fourth year. The scholarships are highly competitive and are awarded to citizens of any country outside the UK. Each year, there are 80-110 Gates Cambridge Scholars, with approximately forty from the U.S. The scholarship covers university and college fees, maintenance allowance sufficient for a single student, contribution toward
s return airfare and other discretionary allowances.
- Applicants may be citizens of any country outside the UK.
- Applicants must complete a bachelor's degree before beginning study at Cambridge.
All applicants apply simultaneously for admission to the University and for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. There is no Gates Cambridge application separate from the Cambridge graduate application. Students who have been selected for admission by a Cambridge department will automatically be considered for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. The Trust does not admit or place scholars.
The University of Cambridge application requires:
- The entire GRADSAF application form
- Three letters of reference (two academic ones for admission and one personal reference for the scholarship application)
- Any other documents required by the Board of Graduate Studies (e.g. proof of English ability if English is not your first language) or the department to which you are applying (e.g., some departments require examples of written work or a GRE test score).
The Gates Cambridge Trust is looking for students with outstanding academic credentials, demonstrated leadership abilities and a passion to contribute to the improvement of society. Applicants should demonstrate an understanding of the graduate program for which they are applying; successful applicants will have the ability to make a significant contribution to their discipline while in Cambridge.
There are no restrictions on the discipline that a student can study with a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, but applicants are reminded that the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Committee prefers candidates who are interested in issues of social equity.
University of Idaho Deadline: not applicable
- October - Round 1: U.S. Citizens normally resident in the USA.
- December/January (Dependent on course) - Round 2: All other eligible applicants
- The online application typically opens early September. Finalists will be invited to interviews taking place late January; the final selection of Gates Cambridge Scholars will be made soon after.