University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

Parents on campus during orientation

Homecoming Oct. 1-7

Join other Vandal families for a week of celebration and Vandal traditions. View Calendar

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn More

Step 3: Post-Application

Study Abroad Italy

Once you have applied to study abroad through the U of I and have been approved, you will find post-application requirements specific to you and your program within your U of I Study Abroad account. Log in to your U of I Study Abroad account using your U of I Net ID and password here.

Find other important information for studying abroad below.


Once you decide to study abroad, you should apply for a passport. Passport applications and instructions can be found on the U.S. State Department website. Follow the instructions on the form, gather appropriate proofs of identity, and go to your local passport services office to submit your application.

If you already have a passport, make sure it is still valid and will be valid for at least six months after the end of your exchange period. Passport renewal forms are available online at the web address listed above.


Once you decide to study abroad, you should apply for a passport. Passport applications and instructions can be found on the website. Once you have been accepted to study abroad and have received your passport, you may need to apply for a visa. A visa is a stamp in your passport allowing you entrance into the specified country for a specified reason and period of time. Most commonly you will apply for a student visa. You will typically apply for your visa through your host country's Embassy in the U.S. or one of its Consulates located in various parts of the U.S. Visa application procedures vary by country and can even vary from Consulate to Consulate of the same country. You will receive general visa information either from your program provider, your host university, or the UI Study Abroad office, however, it is your responsibility to determine specific requirements of the Embassy or Consulate that you are required to apply through. In many cases will need some months to apply for your visa prior to your departure so start looking into this as soon as you have been accepted to your program.

You will not be allowed to enter the foreign country without the proper travel documents, visa, etc. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the proper documents have been secured in a timely manner.

Many destinations require or recommend that you get certain immunizations prior to departure. Check the Center for Disease Control to see what shots or prescriptions you might need. It is very important that you get started on this early, as some of the immunizations need to be taken in a series, spanning several weeks. You should also schedule an appointment with your general health practitioner or family doctor to discuss your trip.

All students participating in university-travel will either be provided with sufficient international medical insurance by their UI study abroad program provider or will be required to purchase insurance secured by the UI International Programs Office that meets university requirements for international travel.  If you are required to purchase the UI Study Abroad Insurance, it will be noted within your UI Study Abroad Account online. UI Study Abroad Insurance policy and its benefits can be found within your UI Study Abroad Account.

Flight arrangements vary depending on the program selected. For programs that offer group flights, specific flight information will be sent to you after your application has been accepted. On those programs where group flights are not available, students will be responsible for making their own arrangements. Once you have applied to study abroad, you will find some good advice about making flight arrangements within your Study Abroad account. It is wise to consult a variety of travel websites or travel agents to find the best flight for your needs.

There are several discount programs we encourage you to take advantage of in order to spread your travel budget. The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) provides discounts on airfare and a variety of other services, and serves as a photo ID. If your program doesn’t include the ISIC card in the fees, you can purchase it at the UI International Programs Office or online.

If you are going to Europe and plan to do some train traveling, you will want to consider buying a EuRail Pass. Guides describing the features of the Eurail may be ordered online at

Finally, there are International Youth Hostel cards. These cards can save you money on cheap hostel accommodations overseas. You can purchase the cards online at We encourage you to utilize these discount programs to spread your travel budget.

Generally you want to have a variety of sources/forms of money available to you when you arrive in a foreign country as you never know when flights might be delayed landing you in your host country later than expected. Currency exchange booths could be closed and ATM machines out of order. First, it is recommended that you order about $200 of foreign currency from your local bank before your trip. You will want to have some traveler’s checks and an ATM card available to you as well. Make sure that your ATM personal identification number (PIN) is a 4-digit number, as this is the format used most commonly overseas. Students report that they obtain the cheapest exchange rates by using their ATM cards to withdraw money. You will also want to have at least one major credit card, but don’t always expect “plastic” to work overseas. ATM and credit card machines are commonly found in most places but can be few and far between in rural areas or in some developing countries. Some students may even open bank accounts overseas. You will find more financial/budgeting information in your Studio Abroad account after you apply.

You will find that it is relatively easy to communicate with your friends and family from overseas, as internet access is readily available in most countries, and is the most inexpensive way to communicate from overseas (in some developing countries you may find it difficult or expensive). But remember, you are studying abroad to immerse yourself in a new country and culture so don't spend all your time on Facebook and Skype! Get out and explore your exciting, new host country.

Since the majority of our students are overseas, we do almost all of our communication via e-mail. It is University of Idaho policy that all students are assigned a University of Idaho e-mail account, which is considered the official e-mail account for all UI correspondence. Students will be held responsible for the messages sent to their UI assigned e-mail address. It is therefore important that you check your UI account frequently.

Inappropriate conduct abroad can result in your dismissal from the program and immediate return home. Inappropriate conduct can be considered anything which places the student or other students/staff on the program in danger, anything that is considered against the law in the host country, anything that violates the policies of the program or the host university, and/or unexcused absences from program classes or activities. The UI International Programs Office reserves the right to determine the consequences of such actions. Dismissal from the program in no way negates your responsibility to pay your program fees and any fees that were incurred in returning you home.

Study Abroad

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC #3, Ground Floor

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: (208) 885-7870

Fax: (208) 885-2859