University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.


Students and scholars wishing to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status after travel abroad will require all of the following:

  1. A travel signature by International Services on Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. F-1s must have a travel signature within 6 months of the time in which their travel and return occurs (every semester if necessary). J-1s must have a travel signature within one year of their travel/return.
  2. A valid visa stamp (see exceptions in the visa section).
  3. A valid passport

Additionally, students returning to the U.S. after filing for or obtaining post-completion optional practical training employment authorization should be prepared to present evidence of their OPT and a job offer letter.

Dependents wishing to return to the U.S. in F-2 or J-2 status must comply with the same conditions including a travel signature on their own I-20 or DS-2019.

Students and scholars in F-1 or J-1 status should visit International Services to obtain a travel endorsement on Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 approximately two weeks before any planned travel abroad. When applying for a travel endorsement, you must submit all of the following:

  1. Your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (and forms of any traveling family members)
  2. Travel Request Form
  3. Evidence of health insurance (also for any traveling family members)
  4. Valid passport (and passports of any traveling family members)

International students and scholars at the University of Idaho often ask the staff at International Services whether there are any steps they might take to assist family members or friends in making a successful application for a B-2 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad.

Any applicant for a B-2 visa must demonstrate non-immigrant intent.

The International Programs Office will issue letters of invitation for family members, as long as the student or scholar is in valid visa status. We cannot issue a letter for a non-family member.

In order to issue these letters, we would need the following:

  • The full names and dates of births of the family members invited;
  • The inclusive dates of your invitation to the U.S.;
  • The purpose of the visit; and
  • That you will provide food, lodging and other necessaries.

The consulate may also find useful a bank statement confirming that you or your family members have the funds on hand to support your family members while in the U.S.

International Programs Office

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

COVID-19 Information for international students, employees and scholars

Phone: 208-885-8984

Fax: 208-885-2859