University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn about UIRA

College Credit

College courses offered through ISI are approved by the curriculum committee of the cooperating institution sponsoring the course. Most colleges and universities, including the University of Idaho, have transfer credit limitations.

University of Idaho (U of I) students

  • If you are working toward a degree, approval from your academic adviser is required to take an ISI course. See Forms, Course Approval form.

  • ISI course credits are not included in the computation of a U of I student’s grade point average (GPA). 

  • Credits earned from ISI courses sponsored by the U of I are listed separately on the U of I transcript from U of I course credits. ISI courses do not replace a U of I course on the U of I transcript. 

  • Residency Requirements (J-2) for a U of I student - of the credits required for a degree, a student must earn a minimum of 30 upper-division credits in U of I courses. Credits awarded for ISI courses are not counted among these 30 U of I credits.
  • Concurrent and Subsequent Baccalaureate Degrees (J-7) - of the credits required to earn a second baccalaureate degree, a minimum number must be U of I credits. For more information see J-7 Concurrent and Subsequent Baccalaureate Degrees, in the U of I Catalog.

Non-U of I Students

ISI staff recommend that students at other institutions contact their registrar, college department, and adviser to obtain signature approval that ISI credits will be computed into their degree and GPA before enrolling.


  • Credit hours are semester hours
  • A through F letter-grade scale with the exception of Engl 101, which is graded P (pass) or F (fail)
  • Courses are approved by the curriculum committee of the cooperating institution sponsoring the course
  • Most colleges and universities have transfer credit limitations

Course Numbers

  • 100-299: lower-division, introductory-level college courses
  • 300-499: upper-division courses for advanced undergraduates
  • 500-699: graduate-level courses for graduate students or students with special permission to register


Independent Study

Physical Address:
Shoup Hall, Rooms 306, 310 & 312
Moscow, ID 83844-3081

Mailing Address:
Independent Study in Idaho
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3081
Moscow, ID 83844-3081

Phone: 208-885-6641


Web: Instructor Gradebook Access