Faculty and Staff Links

The University of Idaho's Office of Purchasing and Contract Services is responsible for establishing and administering the University’s purchasing policies and procedures consistent with federal, state, and University rules and regulations.

  • Contracting at the University of Idaho
    Departments are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University.  All Contracts for the purchase of goods or services must be reviewed and signed by Contracts and Purchasing Services.

    All contracts should be submitted for approval in the online service contracts application in VandalWeb.
    Consulting and Independent Contractor Agreements must be reviewed and signed by Contracts and Purchasing Services.  

    Purchases of equipment, data processing software and equipment, and all contracts for consulting or professional services either in total or through time purchase or other financing agreements, between $500,000 and $999,999.99 require prior approval by the State Board of Education Executive Eirector. The Executive Director must be expressly advised when the recommended bid is other than the lowest qualified bid. Purchases exceeding $1,000,000 require prior approval by the full State Board of Education.

    For Questions, Contact

    Phone: 208-885-6116
    Fax: 208-885-6060
  • Purchase by Expenditure

    Purchase Amount (Total)

    Competition Required 

    Obtained By: 

    Method of Completion 


    ≤ $5,000


    Departments or Purchasing Services 

    (Phone or Written) 

    Between $5,000 and $50,000


    Departments or Purchasing Services 

    RFQ (3 Bids)

    > $50,000


    Purchasing Services Only 

    RFB or RFP 

    • Purchases up to $5,000 may be processed with a Purchase Order (PO)
    • Purchasing Card - may be used for purchases up to $5,000
    • Purchases over $5,000 must have a Requisition entered in Banner
  • Honoraria

    • An honorarium is a token of appreciation paid to an individual for services performed for which payment is not required.
    • Honoraria are for non-university employees.  University employees cannot receive honoraria.
    • The amount of the honorarium cannot be set by recipient.
    • The honorarium (including travel) cannot exceed $5,000
    • For more university Policy information, visit the Chapter 75.40 of the Administrative Procedure Manual
  • Household Moves
    In order to recruit qualified personnel, the University of Idaho may reimburse a newly hired employee's actual and reasonable moving expenses as a condition of securing his or her employment. In addition, the University may reimburse actual and reasonable moving expenses when a current employee is transferred from one official location to another within the state for the benefit and convenience of the University. The University of Idaho follows the State Board of Examiners Moving Policy.

    The University's policy will reflect the State's policy exactly, with the exception of the issues below:
    • Section XII, Mobile Home Moves- will not be applicable since the University does not allow for this type of reimbursement
    • Section XIII, Real Estate Expense- will not be applicable since the University does not allow for this type of reimbursement

    For further information regarding the University's moving procedures, please contact Julia McIlroy at (208) 885-6123.

  • Household Moves FAQs
    What if I only want to consider one moving company?
    It is acceptable to consider only one company; however, we encourage you to compare estimates from several carriers in order to ensure selecting the carrier best suited to your needs.

    What if I want to split my move?
    Please inform Purchasing Services if you would like to move your household goods in two separate moves in order to make proper arrangements in advance.

    How do I proceed if I have decided to rent a truck and move myself?
    You may contact the U-Haul or Ryder agent nearest to you to determine the size of truck you need, dates you will need the truck, and the packing items required. Include that information on the Selection of Mover form and return it to Purchasing Services. Purchasing Services will your reservation.

    What if I have goods in two locations?
    Please complete the Selection of Mover form with both cities from which you would like your household items moved. We will request written estimates for both locations. However, you are still subject to the total amount agreed upon by you and your department to cover all of your moving expenses.

    If I have exceeded the authorized amount of my move allowance, how do I reimburse the University?
    The full amount of the invoice is paid by the University. If that amount exceeds your limit, Accounts Receivable will contact you to arrange for payment of the balance within 90 days.

    What happens if there are problems after the move?
    Call Purchasing Services and we will contact the carrier to resolve any issues.

    For further information regarding the University's moving procedures, please contact Julia McIlroy at (208) 885-6123.
  • Requisitions
    • Requisitions (REQs) are generated by departments for purchases over $5,000. 
    • Please note: all purchases over $5,000 require a competitive bid process or submission of a Bid Waiver Request.
    • REQs are electronic forms that are entered into the University of Idaho Banner System.
    • For information about entering a requisition, please refer to your Banner Finance Training Manual under the form name FPAREQN.
    • To access the REQ Banner website, one must have Banner Purchasing Training, a valid Banner user ID, and a Banner password.
  • Request for Bid
    • The process is conducted by Purchasing Services only.
    • Request for Bids must include clearly defined specifications and are obtained in writing in a sealed bid process to be opened in a public bid opening.
    • Please refer to Chapter 60.11 of the Administrative Procedures Manual for further information about RFB's.
  • Request for Quote

    • Quotations must be obtained in writing and must be signed by the vendor (electronic copies are acceptable).
    • It is recommended that quotations be submitted from vendors on the University's Request for Quotation Form.
    • Departmental employees not currently issuing their own RFQ's should contact Purcahasing Services if interested in doing so.
    • Please refer to Chapter 60.10 of the Administrative Procedures Manual for further information about RFQ's.
    • When departments issue a RFQ, please use the requisition number, as the reference number.
  • Bid Waiver Request
    Bid waivers are permissible only when the required goods or services are available from a single supplier.
    Requests to restrict a purchase to one supplier shall be accompanied by a bid waiver request form indicating the reason why no other supplier will be suitable or acceptable to meet the need.  Completed forms should be sent to Contracts and Purchasing Services.

    Pursuant to Idaho Code 67-5720(2), when there is only one (1) vendor for the property to be acquired, unless the property is required for a life-threatening situation or a situation that is immediately detrimental to the public welfare or property, notice of a bid waiver procurement shall be published on the CPS website for a period of seven (7) business days.

    Please refer to Chapter 60.13 of the Administrative Procedures Manual for further information. 
  • Training
    For training on how to create Purchase Orders and Requisitions, contact Greg Cain.

    Online Service Agreements Training Manual 
  • University Contracted Vendors for Goods

    The following list of open contracts is negotiated by Purchasing Services. Campus departments can contact a vendor directly to purchase goods or services at terms, conditions, and rates specified in the contract. Purchasing Services has negotiated these strategic contracts in an effort to offer our campus departments affordable pricing structures while streamlining the procurement process.

    Computer Equipment and Supplies

    Ariana Christie  (877) 325-0938

    Drew Fulton (866) 537-0706 Ext: 5139008

    Paul Imkamp  (800) 381-9663 ext. 53107

    Facilities MRO

    Mitch Fleming  (208) 539-5543

    Tracy Mertens  (509) 535-9882

    Office Supplies

    OfficeMax & Office Depot
    Linda Davis  (800) 597-3181 Ext:1771 

    Laboratory Equipment and Supplies

    Jeff Kadyk  (206) 621-8400 

    Fisher Scientific
    Heather Kuennen (509) 428-9006

    Craig Bury  (425) 889-9597

    Life Technologies: Applied Biosystems & Invitrogen
    Mary Wittig  (503) 702-1225

    VWR International
    Liam Breeze, PhD (509) 330-6609

    State of Idaho Contracts: 


    Cooperative Contracting Organizations:

    WSCA - Western States Contracting Alliance 
    E&I - Educational & Institutional Purchasing
    TCPN - The Cooperative Purchasing Network
    KCDA - King County Directors Association