Confucius Institute Scholarship Program
For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) has launched a "Confucius Institute Scholarship" program to sponsor foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese in relevant universities of China (hereinafter referred to as "Host Institutes").
For 2016, the scholarship program is divided into six categories:
- Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
- Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL
- Scholarship for Students of Bachelor's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students
- Scholarship for One Semester Students
- Scholarship for Four-Weeks Students
Applicants shall be:
- Non-Chinese citizens in good health
- Aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45, and applicants for BTCSOL scholarship should be aged below 20).
Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from tuition, accommodation fees on campus, are provided with monthly living allowance and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly living allowances are provided at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- CNY 2,500 for Bachelor's Degree Students, One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.
- CNY 3,000 for Master's Degree Students.
Applicants should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the "Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form," and attach the electronic files of the following materials:
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopies of HSK and HSKK score reports
- Notarized highest education diploma attained (scheduled graduation proof or official proof of student status)
- Reference letter and letter of commitment. The BTCSOL Scholarship applicants should submit pre-admission notice issued by the host institutes designated by Hanban. The MTCSOL Scholarship applicants are required to submit two reference letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English) and a written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed). College students majored in Chinese in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall submit a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
- Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
- Winners of the finals of the "Chinese Bridge" Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the certificate of scholarship. Winners of preliminary rounds of the "Chinese Bridge" Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
- Chinese language teachers shall submit proof of the length of time in teaching and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work.
- Those applying for scholarship of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL are required to provide the agreement signed with the Confucius Institute or the institute which they will be working
- Other materials required by host institutes
- If the name on the application is inconsistent with the name on the attached passport scanning file, or relevant certification material is incomplete, the application will be invalid.
- If the scholarship winner cannot register for certain reasons, he/she shall inform the host institute 15 days prior to the registration day with a written explanation. Those who cannot complete registration without any reason, the scholarship qualification will be void and they will no longer qualify for the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
Division of Scholarships, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban
129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100088