HSK Level IV
HSK (Level IV) assesses test takers' abilities in the application of everyday Chinese. It is the counterpart of the Level IV of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages and the B2 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF). Test takers who are able to pass the HSK (Level IV) can converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers.
I. Test Target
The HSK (Level IV) is intended for students who have studied Chinese for two to four class hours per week for four semesters (two academic years). These students have mastered 1,200 commonly used words and related grammar patterns.
II. Test Content
The HSK (Level IV) test is made up of listening comprehension, reading comprehension and writing and contains a total of 100 test items.
|Section||Number of Items||Duration (Min)|
|I. Listening||Part I||10||Approximately 30|
|Filling out the answer sheet
(Mark your answers for listening comprehension on Answer Sheet)
|II. Reading||Part I||10||40|
|III. Writing||Part I||10||25|
The test will last for 105 minutes in total (including 5 minutes in which the test takers fill in personal information).
- Listening Comprehension
- There are ten items in Part I. The recording of each item will be played only once. For each item, a short passage will read out, followed by an assertion which also appears on the test paper. The test taker should decide whether the assertion is true or false.
- There are 15 items in Part II. The recording of each item will be played only once. Each item consists of a dialogue between two persons. A third person will then ask a question based on the dialogue. There will be four possible answers on the test paper, from which test takers can choose the right one based on what they hear.
- There are 20 items in Part III. The recording of each item will be played only once. This section consists of a four to five sentence dialogue or monologue followed by one or two questions. Four possible answers will be provided on the test paper, from which the test taker can choose the best one.
- Reading Comprehension
- There are ten items in Part I. One or two sentences will be provided for each item, in which one word/phrase is missing. The test taker should choose one of the suggested words/phrases to fill in the blank.
- There are ten items in Part II. Each item consists of three sentences that the test taker needs to arrange in the correct order.
- There are 20 items in Part III. Each item consists of a short passage, and one or two questions will be asked about the passage. The test taker needs to select the best answer out of the four answers provided.
- There are ten items in Part I. Each item consists of several words. The test taker should construct a sentence using these words.
- There are five items in Part II. Each item consists of a picture and a word. The test taker needs to write a sentence based on the picture and the word.
III. Results Certificate
For the HSK (Level IV), four results will be provided including listening, reading, writing and the total. The test taker must score at least 120 points total to be considered passing.
|Full Score||Your Score|
As a Chinese language certificate for foreign students' entry into Chinese colleges, the results of the HSK are valid for two years (beginning from the test date).