News and Events
- June 13, 2022, UI Expects new global-disease major to grow, Capital Press (Brad Carlson)
IVIS Imaging Service Center Technology Access Grants (TAG) available — Apply today
Applications are now open for technology access grants to support experimental research using fluorescence and bioluminescence imaging technology through supervised use of the IVIS Lumina III. Learn more.
- Borowiec, M. L., Dikow, R. B., Frandsen, P. B., McKeeken, A., Valentini, G., & White, A. E. (2022). Deep learning as a tool for ecology and evolution. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 00: 1– 21. Doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.13901.
- Eigenbrode, S. D., Gomulkiewicz, R. (2022). Manipulation of vector host preference by pathogens: implications for virus spread and disease management. Journal of Economic Entomology, 115 (2): 387–400. Doi.org/10.1093/jee/toab261.
- Osbron, C. A. & Goodman, A. G. (2022). To die or not to die: programmed cell death responses and their interactions with Coxiella burnetii infection. Molecular Microbiology, 117: 717– 736. Doi:org/10.1111/mmi.14878.
- Céspedes, N., Donnelly, E.L., Lowder, C., Hansten, G., Wagers, D., Briggs, A.M., Schauer, J., Haapanen, L., Åbrink, M., Van de Water, J., Luckhart, S. (2022). Mast cell chymase/Mcpt4 suppresses the host immune response to Plasmodium yoelii, limits malaria-associated disruption of intestinal barrier integrity and reduces parasite transmission to Anopheles stephensi. Frontiers in Immunology, 27: 801120. Doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2022.801120.
- Sangjan, W., Marzougui, A., Mattinson, D.S., Schroeder, B.K., Bates, A.A., Khot, L.R., Sankaran, S. (2022). Identification of volatile biomarkers for high throughput sensing of soft rot and Pythium leak diseases in stored potatoes. Food Chemistry,15: 130910. Doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.130910.
- Tran, L. T., Green, K. J., Rodriguez-Rodriguez, M., Orellana, G. E., Funke, C. N., Nikolaeva, O. V., Quintero-Ferrer, A., Chikh-Ali, M., Woodell, L., Olsen, N., Karasev, A. V. (2022). Prevalence of recombinant strains of potato virus Y in seed potato planted in Idaho and Washington states between 2011 and 2021. Plant Disease, 106(3): 810-817. Doi: org/10.1094/PDIS-08-21-1852-SR.
- Bartowitz, K. J., Walsh, E. S., Stenzel, J. E., Kolden, C. A., Hudiburg, T. (2022). Forest carbon emission sources are not equal: putting fire, harvest, and fossil fuel emissions in context. Frontiers in Forests and Global Change, 77: 1-11. Doi: org/10.3389/ffgc.2022.867112.
- Sparks, A. M., Smith, A. M. (2022). Accuracy of a LiDAR-based individual tree detection and attribute measurement algorithm developed to inform forest products supply chain and resource management. Forests, 13: 1-3. Doi: org/10.3390/f13010003.
- Woodhall, J.W., Brown, L., Harrington, M., Murdock, M.R., Pizolotto, C.A., Wharton, P.S., Duellman, K. M. (2022). Anastomosis groups of Rhizoctonia solani and binucleate Rhizoctonia associated with potatoes in Idaho. Plant Disease, In Press. Doi: 10.1094/PDIS-12-21-2683-RE.
- Scoles, G.A., Hussein, H.E., Olds, C.L. et al. (2022). Vaccination of cattle with synthetic peptides corresponding to predicted extracellular domains of Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus aquaporin 2 reduced the number of ticks feeding to repletion. Parasites Vectors, 15 (49): 1-16.Doi.org/10.1186/s13071-022-05166-1.
- Erdogan, H.K., Cruzado-Gutierrez, K., Stevens, G.N., Shapiro-Ilan, D.I., Kaplan, F., Alborn, H.T., Lewis, E. E. (2021). Nematodes follow a leader. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 9: 1- 9. Doi:10.3389/fevo.2021.740351.
- Nikoukar, A., Ensafi, P., Lewis, E. E, Crowder, D. W., Rashed, A. (2021). Efficacy of naturally occurring and commercial entomopathogenic nematodes Against sugar beet wireworm (Coleoptera: Elateridae), Journal of Economic Entomology, 114 (5): 2241–2244. Doi: org/10.1093/jee/toab140.
- Dahan, J., Wenninger, E. J., Thornton, M., Reyes-Corral, C. A., Olsen, N., Karasev, A. V. (2021). Haplotyping the potato Psyllid (Hemiptera: Triozidae) and the associated pathogenic bacterium ‘Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum’ in non-crop alternative hosts in southern Idaho, Environmental Entomology, 50 (2):382–389. Doi.org/10.1093/ee/nvaa179.
Current News Headlines
- A neuro-metabolic account of why daylong cognitive work alters the control of economic decisions
- Basophil depletion alters host immunity, intestinal permeability and mammalian host-to-mosquito transmission in malaria
- Introduction to the collection: climate change, insect pests and beneficial arthropods in production systems
- Precipitation change accentuates or reverses temperature effects on aphid dispersal
- Reliable DNA markers for a previously unidentified, yet broadly deployed Hessian fly resistance gene on chromosome 6B in Pacific Northwest spring wheat varieties
Research and Travel Awards Announced for 2022
Students and postdocs at the University of Idaho received awards to help them participate in research and travel to scientific meetings in 2022.
Conferences and Events
- Institute for Health in the Human Ecosystem Annual Research Symposium, April 7, 2023
- Institute for Health in the Human Ecosystem World Malaria Day Event, April 25, 2023
- Fifth Annual Biology of Vector-borne Diseases course to be held June 12-17, 2023