How to Report Vehicle Accident

Wednesday, November 6 2013

Good driving habits and defensive driving techniques can help reduce the changes of an automobile accident. Unfortunately, accidents still occur. It is important to know what to do if you are involved in an accident while driving a University of Idaho vehicle or rented vehicle.

You are responsible for ensuring the vehicle you are driving contains an Accident Claim Kit. The kit consist of three items: a tri-fold Auto Accident Report Guide, a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, and a Citizen’s Claim Procedure form.

An accident, even if minor, is very upsetting to all parties. You should try to remain calm, offer assistance if anyone is injured, and notify the police. Do not comment on the accident facts or fault. The auto accident guide gives an outline of what to do. It is also the form you will use to report the accident to the Risk Management office. Do not give the guide to the other party.

Your primary responsibilities are to gather as much information as you can, and to report the accident to your supervisor and to Risk Management as soon as possible. If there are serious injuries, or severe damage, Risk Management should be notified by telephone at (208) 885-7177. The Auto Accident Report Guide should be sent to Risk Management, Adm 209, 875 Perimeter Drive MS 3162, Moscow ID 83844-3162, immediately afterwards.

The law enforcement officer who comes to the scene will ask to see a proof of insurance for the University of Idaho vehicle. The Certificate of Financial Responsibility is that proof.

If the other party believes that the University of Idaho driver is responsible, be courteous but do not either accept or deny fault. Give the other party the Citizen’s Claim Procedure form. It provides instructions on how to file a claim against the University of Idaho/State of Idaho. The Citizen’s Claim Procedure is the only form that goes to the other party. From that point forward, any questions by the other party should be referred to Risk Management or possibly the State of Idaho.

If the University of Idaho vehicle has been listed for coverage with Risk Management for physical damage coverage, and the vehicle is not drivable, note the name of the tow company and find out where it is being taken. Storage charges are expensive and can mount rapidly. It is important that this information be transmitted to Risk Management quickly. If the vehicle is drivable, the supervisor of your department should tell the driver what two shops estimates should be obtained from.

Do not hold the report waiting for the estimates for the University of Idaho vehicle if the accident involves another party. Please send the Auto Accident Report Guide to Risk Management and then follow with the police reports and/or your estimates as soon as they become available.

You can contact risk management by emailing; calling (208) 885-7177, mailing to 875 Perimeter Drive MS 3162, Moscow ID 83844-3162, or come by the Administration Building room 209, to obtain the accident information packet, report accidents, or ask questions.