Notice from the Idaho Attorney General
June 14, 2019
The state of Idaho has filed a lawsuit against Purdue Pharma L.P. and Purdue Pharma, Inc. — an opioid drug manufacturer — and members of the Sackler family who have ownership and control interests in Purdue. The lawsuit alleges the Sacklers and Purdue engaged in an aggressive and deceptive marketing campaign regarding opioid drugs that has been a major contributor in the dramatic increase in opioid prescriptions, opioid addiction, and opioid overdoses in Idaho — commonly referred to as the opioid crisis. The state is suing to recover damages based on the increased burdens the opioid crisis has imposed on state resources and Idaho as a whole. As part of the lawsuit, all relevant evidence needs to be preserved. If the state destroys or discards relevant evidence, the consequences can be harsh, including monetary penalties.
Take steps to prevent destroying or discarding any university document, data, emails or other things (including research documents and data) that relate to:
- opioids, opioid addiction or opioid addiction treatment;
- the drugs buprenorphine (a.k.a. Butrans), fentanyl, hydrocodone (a.k.a. Vicodin), hydromorphone, morphine, codeine, oxycodone (a.k.a. Oxycontin), oxymorphone, tapentadol, naloxone (a.k.a. Narcan), or heroin; or
- Purdue Pharma or any member of the Sackler family.
What do you need to do?
- Preserve items of relevant evidence as they are.
- Do not destroy, discard, or delete any relevant evidence.
- Keep saving relevant evidence until we tell you not to.
- Contact University General Counsel at email@example.com with questions.
About the University of Idaho
The University of Idaho, home of the Vandals, is Idaho’s land-grant, national research university. From its residential campus in Moscow, U of I serves the state of Idaho through educational centers in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Idaho Falls, nine research and Extension centers, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. Home to nearly 12,000 students statewide, U of I is a leader in student-centered learning and excels at interdisciplinary research, service to businesses and communities, and in advancing diversity, citizenship and global outreach. U of I competes in the Big Sky Conference. Learn more at uidaho.edu