University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn about UIRA

Learn How to Report Vehicle Accident

January 14, 2019

Good driving habits and defensive driving techniques can help reduce the chances of an automobile accident. Unfortunately, accidents still occur. It is important to know what to do in the event of an accident while driving a U of I-owned vehicle or rented vehicle.

The driver is responsible for ensuring the vehicle being driven contains a University Auto Accident Kit. The kit consists of three items: an Auto Accident Report Guide, a Certificate of Financial Responsibility and a Citizen's Claim Procedure form. A kit can be obtained from the Risk Management and Insurance webpage, under Forms.

An accident, even if minor, is very upsetting to all parties. Remain calm, offer assistance if anyone is injured and notify the police. Do not comment on the accident facts or fault. The auto accident guide gives an outline of what to do. It is also the form to use to report the accident to the Risk Management office. Do not give the guide to the other party.

The driver’s primary responsibilities are to gather as much information as possible and to report the accident to the supervisor and to Risk Management within 48 hours. If there are serious injuries or severe damage Risk Management should be notified by telephone at 208-885-7177. The Auto Accident Report Guide should be sent to Risk Management, 875 Perimeter Drive MS 2433, Moscow ID 83844-2433, immediately afterwards.

The law enforcement officer who comes to the scene will ask to see a proof of insurance for the University of Idaho vehicle. The Certificate of Financial Responsibility is that proof.

If the other party believes that the U of I driver is responsible, be courteous but do not either accept or deny fault. Give the other party the Citizen's Claim Procedure form. It provides instructions on how to file a claim against the University of Idaho/State of Idaho. The Citizen's Claim Procedure is the only form that goes to the other party. From that point forward, any questions by the other party should be referred to Risk Management, or the State of Idaho claims adjuster.

If the U of I vehicle has been listed for coverage with Risk Management for physical damage coverage and the vehicle is not drivable, note the name of the tow company and find out where it is being taken. Storage charges are expensive and can mount rapidly. It is important that this information be transmitted to Risk Management quickly. If the vehicle is drivable, the department supervisor should tell the driver what two shops from which to seek estimates.

Do not hold the report waiting for the estimates for the U of I vehicle if the accident involves another party. Please send the Auto Accident Report Guide to Risk Management and then follow with the police reports and/or your estimates as soon as they become available.

Contact risk management by emailing, calling 208-885-7177, mailing to 875 Perimeter Drive MS 2433, Moscow ID 83844-2433, or come by the Teaching and Learning Center Rooms 048 & 049, to obtain the accident information packet, report accidents, or ask questions.

About the University of Idaho

The University of Idaho, home of the Vandals, is Idaho’s land-grant, national research university. From its residential campus in Moscow, U of I serves the state of Idaho through educational centers in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Idaho Falls, nine research and Extension centers, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. Home to nearly 12,000 students statewide, U of I is a leader in student-centered learning and excels at interdisciplinary research, service to businesses and communities, and in advancing diversity, citizenship and global outreach. U of I competes in the Big Sky Conference. Learn more at