University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn about UIRA

Understand How to Request Certificates and Waivers

January 09, 2019

The university may enter into a contract that requires giving another party a certificate or getting a certificate by the other party. Usually, if U of I is performing a function for another party, the party will ask for proof of coverage. If a party is performing a function for the university, proof of coverage will be requested.

If an outside entity is requesting a certificate from the university, send a completed Request for a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (click Insurance and then Certificates). Allow two weeks from the date of request and the date a certificate should be provided to the other party. Risk takes the information provided on the Request for a Certificate of Financial Responsibility form to request the certificate from the State of Idaho Risk Management Program Office. The State issues the certificate and Risk will provide it to the requestor or contact.

If a certificate is needed from the other party, Contracts and Purchasing Services has made it easy. The U of I service agreements have insurance language built in and an addendum that the other party can give to their insurance provider that spells out what is needed on their certificate.

If a signature is required, remember that Contracts and Purchasing has the authority to sign on behalf of the university. All contracts or agreements need to be processed by Contracts and Purchasing Services. Purchasing Services will help negotiate the contract.

Contact information for Contracts and Purchasing Services:

Mailing address: 875 Perimeter Drive MS 2006
Moscow ID 83844-2006

Physical address: 1028 W 6th Street
Phone: 208- 885-6116

What if the other party does not have insurance? Request Risk waive the requirement for the party to provide a certificate of insurance by completing an Insurance Certificate Waiver request form (click Insurance, then Certificates). Allow two weeks processing time. Risk will review the provided information to determine if a waiver is possible.

Contact Risk at or 208-885-7177.

About the University of Idaho

The University of Idaho, home of the Vandals, is Idaho’s land-grant, national research university. From its residential campus in Moscow, U of I serves the state of Idaho through educational centers in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Idaho Falls, nine research and Extension centers, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. Home to nearly 12,000 students statewide, U of I is a leader in student-centered learning and excels at interdisciplinary research, service to businesses and communities, and in advancing diversity, citizenship and global outreach. U of I competes in the Big Sky Conference. Learn more at