University of Idaho Extension, Gooding County helps residents through research-based, locally relevant information and programs. Clients learn through hands-on classes, workshops, trainings, office visits, phone calls and online resources. We offer programming in:
Dairy, beef and small animal production programs, including workshops in
- Dairy managers
- Farm safety
- Beef and dairy and meat goat and sheep schools
Agriculture at UI Extension, Lincoln County also provides a wide range of technical resources for producers.
UI Extension, Twin Falls County offers programming in aquaculture and livestock.
We collaborate with neighboring counties to bring you expertise in
- Crops like corn, alfalfa, cereals, beans, potatoes, sugar beets
- Horticultural production: see UI Extension, Twin Falls County
- Cover crops
Agricultural Environmental Management
- Nutrient and waste management
- Air and water quality
- Soil health
- Pollution prevention
- Climate adaptation
- On-farm composting and industrial scale vermicomposting
Community Environmental Education
- Composting and vermicomposting at home
- Rain and gray water collection and use
- Sustainability at home and at the municipal level.
Area 4-H/Youth Development
We offer programs open to youth from the Magic Valley and Beyond. Some of the programs are 4-H centered but many others are open to everybody (4-Hers or not). Our 4-H/youth development Extension Educator supports several youth development programs in the area.
4-H in Gooding County
We have a strong 4-H program in Gooding County with several clubs and projects activities for Gooding County youth.
Family and Consumer Sciences
Volunteer Master Food Preservers in Gooding who help the community with food preservation questions. They also test pressure canning lids. Through collaborations with neighboring counties, we bring expertise in FCS topics:
- Canning and food preservation
- Healthy living
- Family finances education
Eat Smart Idaho assists limited resource individuals with nutrition.
UI Extension, Twin Falls County offers programming in many areas, including health, nutrition and personal finance.
UI Extension, Minidoka County provides information on programs like Just in Time Parenting, personal finance, food preparation and food preservation topics. Master Food Safety Advisors provide information on safely preserving a variety of food products.
Idaho Master Gardeners
Gooding has Master Gardeners who volunteer at the plant clinics. They answer questions about gardens, lawns, and vegetable growing Gooding County residents. Neighboring counties add expertise in horticulture and small farms.
The Idaho Master Gardener program is offered in a different county each year in the Magic Valley. If enough interested people sign up, the program can be offered in Gooding.
UI Extension, Lincoln County provides information on community development projects like Saddle Up and Lost N Lava.
Neighboring County Programs
- Eat Smart Idaho: Nutrition assistance to limited resource individuals
- UI Extension, Twin Falls County: Health, nutrition, personal finance, horticulture, aquaculture and livestock
- UI Extension, Camas County: Agriculture with variety field studies conducted on the Camas Prairie
- UI Extension, Lincoln County: Community development projects, technical resources for agriculture producers
- UI Extension, Jerome County: Crops
- UI Extension, Minidoka County: Family and consumer sciences, with Master Food Safety Advisor training
The University of Idaho has a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, genetic information, or status as any protected veteran or military status. This policy applies to all programs, services and facilities, and includes, but is not limited to, applications, admissions, access to programs and services, and employment and advancement.