In response to COVID-19, the Testing Center is closed until further notice. We will be offering very limited services at the testing facility in the basement of the Pittman Center.
The available services are limited to:
- all proctoring services
- placement services (excluding CLEP)
- Microsoft Excel and STAMP-Language Proficiency certification exams
Appointments for these exams can be schedule clicking https://www2.registerblast.com/uidaho/exam/list
All other testing services are suspended. If you have additional questions, please call 208-885-6716.
The mission of the Testing Center (TC) is to provide a secure, controlled, comfortable and accessible environment for test delivery in accordance with the needs of the University of Idaho students, faculty and staff and the surrounding community and region. The Testing Center supports a culture of academic integrity and customer service and strives for professionalism through adherence to the National College Testing Association’s (NCTA) Professional Standards & Guidelines.
The TC is a member of the Consortium of College Testing Centers and is certified by the National College Testing Association as demonstrating exemplary practices in accordance with NCTA's Professional Standards and Guidelines for Post-Secondary Test Centers.
The Testing Center offers a variety of testing services to a wide range of constituencies, including non-U of I students.
*For Placement testing (ALEKS, CLEP, AvantPlace), test Proctoring, MAT, STAMP or Excel Certification.
For other exams please call or stop by.
Find us at Mary E. Forney Hall, Room 301 or call 208-885-5138.
Services We Offer
For students, faculty and members of the community who need to take an exam in a supervised setting, the Counseling & Testing Center offers space, equipment and supervisory personnel for administering exams. Services include:
- 13 partitioned testing stations
- Noise-canceling headphones
- Adjustable chairs and monitors
- Constant video surveillance
- Quick return of completed exams
Schedule an Appointment
Proctoring services are available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday by appointment only. The proctoring fee for students is $15 per hour.
- The ACT is a college admissions exam offered on select Saturdays. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the ACT »
- Residual ACT - To schedule an appointment, call 208-885-5138. The Residual ACT is similar to the ACT but is only valid for and can only be reported to the University of Idaho. It allows for more flexibility in administration and is offered by appointment only, Monday through Friday. Unofficial results are available immediately. To schedule an appointment, call 208-885-5138. Once you have established a date and time that works for you and the Testing Center, it will be entered into our online scheduling system. You will then need to go to our scheduling site Registerblast, officially register and pay the $90 testing fee. On the day of your Residual ACT, you will need to bring a current, government-issued photo ID.
- The SAT is a college admissions exam offered on select Saturdays Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the SAT »
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a widely accepted measure of English language proficiency for college admission. TOEFL is offered on pre-selected days throughout the year, typically a Friday morning. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the TOEFL »
ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment $20 to create an account for U of I students; $15 for proctoring at the Testing Center.
ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses and then offer individualized prep and learning modules to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. It consists of three parts:
- An initial placement assessment designed to determine what a student knows and what a student needs to work on
- The prep and learning module, an individualized, self-paced online review based on the results of the initial placement assessment
- Access to 1-4 additional placement assessments that can be used as practice tests (unproctored) or for actual placement (proctored) in the appropriate math course.
NOTE: For an assessment to be used to determine placement, it must be proctored in an approved testing center.
To use ALEKS please follow the following steps:
- You will need to create an account and purchase access to ALEKS PPL. Credit card information is required to pay the $20 account fee for U of I students, which provides access to ALEKS PPL for twelve months.Create a new account or sign into an existing ALEKS PPL account with your U of I username and password
- Once you have created and paid for your ALEKS account, you can schedule with the Testing Center to take the Proctored Assessment, which will be used to determine your math placement. The CTC proctor fee is $15. Schedule an appointment.
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments for ALEKS through phone or email.
After completing the Proctored Assessment, use your results to determine which class you are able to register for.
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the United States today, helping students of all ages earn college degrees faster by getting credit for what they already know.
You can earn from three to eight college credits toward your college degree by earning a satisfactory score for each CLEP you take, depending on the exam subject. Results are available immediately.
To schedule an appointment:
- Register through CLEP and pay their fee (currently $89).
- Once you receive confirmation and have a Ticket ID number, schedule an appointment with the CTC.
Testing Center Proctor fee is $25 for U of I students;$35 for non-U of I students
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments for CLEP through phone or email.
- AvantPlace is a computer delivered placement exam used by U of I Modern Languages and Cultures. Exams are available in Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Japanese languages. While there is no time limit, you are given two hours with your $25 fee, any time past two hours will be at the proctoring rate of $7.50/half hour. Most complete the exam in less than an hour, and results are available with several days.
For information regarding this requirement or for cut scores needed for placement, contact the Modern Languages and Cultures department at 208-885-6179 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule an appointment with then Testing Center. Total fee is $25
We do not schedule appointments for Avant PLACE through phone or email.
- GRE (Graduate Records Examination) is a graduate entrance exam offered Monday through Thursday mornings and select Fridays during the academic year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the GRE »
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is similar to the GRE but specific to Business. It is offered Monday through Thursday during the Academic year.Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the GMAT »
- MAT (Miller Analogies Test) The Miller Analogies Test is sometimes used as an alternative to the Graduate Records Exam (GRE) for graduate school admissions. It is a measure of analytical reasoning, mostly verbal with some quantitative. It involves completing 120 analogies (100 scored) within a 60-minute time frame.
Official score reports will be mailed in approximately 10-15 working days to you and the institutions you specify before taking the test. Preliminary score reports are available immediately following the test.
Learn more about/ Register & Schedule the MAT To schedule a MAT exam Testing fee is $90
- LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) is offered on select Saturdays throughout the school year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for LSAT »
- PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test) is offered only on select days during the academic school year. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for PCAT »
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a widely accepted measure of English language proficiency for college admission. TOEFL is offered on pre-
selected days throughout the year, typically a Friday morning. Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the TOEFL »
Microsoft Excel Certification
The Microsoft Office Specialist Excel certification exam is offered at the CTC at the discounted rate of $75, which includes the option for one retake should it be necessary.
Schedule an appointment with the CTC. Total fee is $75
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments for Microsoft Excel Certification through phone or email.
STAMP-Language Proficiency Certification
One of the requirements for a degree in several of the Modern Languages offered at the U of I is the Avant STAMP (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) exam, which also serves as a certification in language proficiency. The exam includes assessment of reading, writing, listening and speaking in a variety of languages and results can be used to qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy.
Schedule your STAMP-Language Proficiency exam. Total fee is $60.
NOTE: We do not schedule appointments for STAMP through phone or email.
Praxis tests are part of a certification process required for future teachers by many states and professional licensing organizations. Offered Monday through Thursday and select Fridays during the academic year.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for PRAXIS »
ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certification exams are offered Monday through Thursday and select Fridays during the academic year.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for ASE »
NCEES (National Council of Engineers for Engineering and Surveying) exam is offered Monday-Thursday during specific windows.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for NCEES »
GED (General Education Development) exam is offered to those who do not have but wish to obtain a certificate equivalent to a high school diploma, a common requirement among colleges and employers.
The test includes four subjects: science, social studies, mathematical reasoning and reasoning through language arts. It is possible to take one subject test at a time.
If you are under 18, you will need to begin the registration process then fill out a Youth Waiver Form and submit it in-person to our testing center or via email to email@example.com.
Allow one to two days for processing and to unlock your account so you can continue with the registration process.
If you are a resident of a different state and under 18, a testing administrator from that state will need to unlock your account first, though you can still test at our testing site.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for the GED »
MPRE (Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination) is offered on select Saturdays throughout the school year.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for MPRE »
TSA (Transportations Security Administration) tests are offered on select days throughout the week. Registration for this exam takes place during the TSA application process.
PGA Certifications These certification exams are generally offered on Fridays.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for PGA Certification
ACE/WOCNCM Delivered through CastleWorldwide, both of these personal trainer certification exams are generally offered on select days throughout the week.
Learn more about/Register & Schedule for ACE/WOCNCM »