Pamela J.S. Hutchinson
Associate Professor & Extension Specialist — Potato Cropping Systems Weed Scientist
Aberdeen Research and Extension Center
University of Idaho
1693 S 2700 W
Aberdeen, ID 83210
Ph.D., University of Nebraska, 1991
M.S., South Dakota State University, 1987
B.S., Iowa State University, 1980
- Conduct a potato cropping systems research program involving weed biology, weed control, herbicide environmental fate, herbicide resistance management and green manure systems
- The focus of many weed biology and control projects is on hairy nightshade (Solanum sarrachoides)
- Develop and conduct potato cropping systems educational/technology transfer programs for grower, extension educators, agricultural professionals and other clientele
- Develop integrative weed management recommendations based on applied research conducted under Idaho and Pacific Northwest conditions as well as current literature and data from regional potato cropping systems
- Develops and conducts annual Snake River Pest Management tours
- Co-chair of the annual University of Idaho Extension Potato Conference
- Invited speaker at national and international potato production meetings and conferences
- GLOBAL ("Globodera Alliance") project “Risk assessment and eradication of Globodera spp. in U.S. production of potato." A multi-national group of 17 research, extension and education professionals working on a five-year $3.2 million project funded by USDA with research focused on the potato cyst nematodes Globodera pallida (pale cyst nematode), G. rostochiensis (golden nematode) and the related species G. ellingtonae that has recently been found in Oregon and Idaho; GLOBAL Project Extension/Outreach/Education Committee chair
- Western Society of Weed Science (WSWS) — presenter, committee chair and executive board
- Potato Association of America (PAA) — presenter and committee chair
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. and C.V. Eberlein. 2003. Weed Management. In: Stark, J.C. and S. L. Love (eds.) Potato Production Systems 13: 240-283. University of Idaho Agricultural Communications, Moscow, ID, 83844-2332.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2014. Glyphosate carryover in seed potatoes: effect on mother crop and daughter tubers. Am. J. Potato Res. 91:394-403.
Hutchinson, P.J.S., 2014. Hairy Nightshade Critical Interference Period in Potato. 28:543-551. Weed Technol.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2012. Common lambs quarters control in potato with dimethenamid-p and a comparison of hairy nightshade control with dimethenamid-p, s-metolachlor, or metolachlor. Weed Technol. 26:279–283.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2011. Hairy nightshade (Solanum sarrachoides) Competition with two potato varieties. Weed Sci. 59:37-42.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2007. A comparison of flumioxazin and rimsulfuron tank mixtures for weed control in potato. Weed Technol. 21: 1023-1028.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., D.W. Morishita, and W.J. Price. 2007. Season-long dose-response of potato to sulfometuron. Weed Sci. 55:521-527.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., D.M. Hancock, and B.R. Beutler. 2006. Weed control and potato crop safety with low rates of sulfentrazone and metribuzin applied postemergence. Weed Technol. 20:1023-1029.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., B.R. Beutler, and D.M. Hancock. 2006. Desiccant Evaluations: Late-season hairy nightshade (Solanum sarrachoides) control and seed response. Weed Technol. 20:37-40.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., C.V. Ransom, R.A. Boydston, and B.R. Beutler. 2005. Dimethenamid-p: weed control and potato (Solanum tuberosum) variety tolerance. Weed Technol. 19:966–971.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., D.M. Hancock, and B.R. Beutler. 2005. Efficacy of reduced sulfentrazone rates preemergence with metribuzin in potato (Solanum tuberosum). Weed Technol. 19:954–958.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., R.A. Boydston, C.V. Ransom, D.J. Tonks, and B.R. Beutler. 2005. Potato (Solanum tuberosum) variety tolerance to flumioxazin and sulfentrazone. Weed Technol. 19:704-717.
- Alvarez, J.M. and P.J.S. Hutchinson. 2005. Managing nightshade plants to reduce potato viruses and insect vectors. Outlooks on Pest Management, 2005 16 (6): 249-252.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., C.V. Eberlein, and D.J. Tonks. 2004. Broadleaf weed control and potato (Solanum tuberosum) crop safety with postemergence rimsulfuron, metribuzin, and adjuvant combinations. Weed Technol. 18:750-756.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., C.V. Ransom, D.J. Tonks, and C.V. Eberlein. 2004. Russet Burbank potato (Solanum tuberosum) tolerance to dimethenamid-p. Weed Technol. 18:850-852.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., D.J. Tonks, and B.R. Beutler. 2003. Efficacy and economics of weed control programs in glyphosate–resistant potato (Solanum tuberosum). Weed Technol. 17:854-865.
- Shrestha, D., E. Wenninger, P.J.S. Hutchinson, N.A. Bosque-Pérez, S. Eigenbroide. 2014. Interactions among Potato Genotypes, Virus Strains, and Inoculation Timing and Methods in the Potato virus Y and Green Peach Aphid Pathosystem. Environ. Entomol. 43(3): 662--671.
- Mondal, S., E.J. Wenninger, P.J.S. Hutchinson, J.L. Whitworth, D. Shrestha, S.D. Eigenbrode, N.A. Bosque-Pérez, and W.E. Snyder. 2017. Responses of aphid vectors of Potato leaf roll virus to potato varieties.
- Mondal, S., Y. Lin, J.E. Carroll, E.J. Wenninger, N.A. Bosque-Pérez, J.L. Whitworth, P. Hutchinson, S. Eigenbrode, and S.M. Gray. 2017. Potato virus Y transmission efficiency from different potato cultivars infected with single or multiple virus strains. Phytopathology 107:491-498.
- Mondal, S., E.J.Wenninger, P.J.S. Hutchinson, M.A. Weibe, S.D. Eigenbrode, and N.A. Bosque-Perez. 2016. Contribution of Noncolonizing Aphids to Potato Virus Y Prevalence in Potato in Idaho. Environ. Entomol. 45:1445-1462.
- Love, S.L. and P.J.S. Hutchinson. 2016. Managing weeds during wildflower meadow establishment: Efficacy of a grass-first strategy for sites with heavy annual weed pressure. Native Plants Journal. Native Plants Journal 17(3):216–229.
- Mondal, S., E.J. Wenninger, P.J.S. Hutchinson, J.L. Whitworth, D. Shrestha. S.D. Eigenbrode, and N.A. Bosque-Pérez. 2016. Comparison of transmission efficiency of different isolates of Potato virus Y among three aphid vectors. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 158 (3): 258–268.
Peer-reviewed extension publications, online and webinars
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2016. Potatoes. In 2000 to present Pacific Northwest Weed Control Handbook. Ed. William, R.D., T.L. Miller, R. Parker, T.W. Miller, D.W. Morishita, and P.J.S. Hutchinson. PNW Public. Cooperative Extension System.
- Liang, Xi, C.W. Rogers, A. Rashed, K. Schroeder, and P.J.S. Hutchinson. 2016. Adopting Quinoa in Southeastern Idaho. BUL 902. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm. Moscow, Idaho. 6 p.
- Rondon, S.I., M. Corp, S. Reitz, S. Van Vleet, and P. Hutchinson. July 2015. EM9118 IPM: Monitoring Diseases in the Field. Extension Publication Oregon State University. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9118
- Rondon, S.I., M. Corp, S. Reitz, S. Van Vleet, and P. Hutchinson. July 2015. EM9119 Integrated Pest Management: Pest Management Integration. Extension Publication Oregon State University. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9119
- Rondon, S.I., M. Corp, S. Reitz, S. Van Vleet, and P. Hutchinson. July 2015. EM9120 IPM: Detecting Plant Diseases in the Lab. Extension Publication Oregon State University. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9120
- Silvia Rondon; M. K. Corp, S. M. Van Vleet, S. Reitz, P. Hutchinson. July 2015. EM9121 Integrated Pest Management: Using A Plant Press. Extension Publication Oregon State University. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9121
- Silvia Rondon; M. K. Corp, S. M. Van Vleet, S. Reitz, P. Hutchinson. July 2015. EM9122 Integrated Pest Management: How to Identify a Plant or Weed. Extension Publication Oregon State University. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9122
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2014. Hairy nightshade biology and competition in potatoes. Focus on Potatoes Webinar. http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/infocenter/topic/focusonpotato/
- Hutchinson P.J.S. 2014. Nightshade control in potatoes. Focus on Potatoes Webinar. http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/infocenter/topic/focusonpotato/
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2012. Weed Control and Potato Crop Safety with Metribuzin. CIS 1185. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm. Moscow, Idaho. 11 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2007. Chateau Herbicide for Use in Potatoes. CIS 1136. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm. Moscow, Idaho. 8 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., C.V. Eberlein, C.W. Kral, and M.J. Guttieri. 2006. Using Matrix in Weed Management Systems for Potatoes. CIS 1037. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm., Moscow, Idaho. 8 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. 2005. Outlook Herbicide for Weed Control in Potatoes. CIS 1126. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm., Moscow, Idaho. 4 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S., R.A. Boydston, and C.V. Ransom. 2005. Weed management in potatoes with Spartan herbicide. PNW Bulletin 577. Univ. of Idaho Ed. Comm., Moscow, Idaho. 6 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. and R.A. Boydston. 2005. Herbicides-weeds: a practical approach to resistance management in potato cropping systems. Pesticide Resistance Management for Potato Growers Publication Series: National Potato Council, Washington D.C. 2 p.
- Hutchinson, P.J.S. Potato Growers of Idaho. 2007. Integrated Pest Management Standards Checklist for Quality Potatoes. Weed management checklist development.
- Weed Management in Potato Production Systems. J.S. Stark and S.L. Love (eds.), 2003.
- Pest Management Strategic Plan for Pacific Northwest Potato Production. 2003. Co-author with other working group members.
Born in Fargo, North Dakota and grew up in central Iowa (Story City). My family farms in Minnesota and North Dakota and I became interested in agronomy and helping farmers at an early age. I worked for industry and then started at the University of Idaho in 1999. My husband, Tom Salaiz, is also involved in potatoes as the Western Regional Agronomy manager for McCain Foods. Participated in the Big Brother/Big Sister program and am involved in musical groups as a percussionist.
- WEDA MultiState Award, “Training IPM Professionals in Rural Areas: A Model to Achieve Sustainable Knowledge.” Silvia Rondon, Stuart Reitz, Kenneth Frost, Steve Van Vleet, and Pamela J.S. Hutchinson, 2017