Gifts of Marketable Securities
Instructions for making a gift of marketable securities to the University of Idaho Foundation, Inc. via electronic transfer:
Step 1 - This information allows us to send a receipt and direct your gift to the program you desire. So that we can properly record your stock gift, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your name, address, email, and phone number
- the name and number of shares of the security you are donating
- the program or fund at UI that you intend for your gift to support
- expected date of transfer
Step 2 - Call your investment advisor and transfer your security to:
- UBS Financial Services DTC #0221 (please include the 0)
- For credit to: Account #WH00730
- In the name of: University of Idaho Foundation, Inc.
- Tax ID #23‐7098404
- If needed, the U of I Foundation UBS account representative is Greg Hotchkiss - 1-800-824‐9212
Step 3 - Provided you completed step 1 above, the Foundation will send you a receipt for the value of the gift, which will be the average of the high and low share price of the stock on the date it is credited to the Foundation’s UBS Financial Services account.
If you have questions, please contact: Director of Finance or Accountant, University of Idaho Foundation, Inc.
Follow these steps to transfer securities that are in certificate form:
- DO NOT sign the back of the certificate(s). Instead of signing the back of the certificate(s), please sign a stock power form (one for each certificate). The stock power(s) must be signed exactly as the certificate is registered. If the certificate is registered in more than one name, all registered owners must sign.
- The signature on the stock power must be "Medallion Signature Guaranteed" by a broker who is with a member firm of the New York Stock Exchange, or by an officer of a bank (not a savings and loan).
- The certificate and letter should be mailed via certified mail, and the stock power form should be mailed in a separate envelope, to:
University of Idaho Foundation
875 Perimeter Drive - MS 3143
Moscow, ID 83844-3143
Along with the stock certificate and stock power, please send a letter stating that you are making a gift of marketable securities. The letter must refer to the name of the security (corporation), the number of shares, and the certificate number being transferred. If you know how your gift is to be designated, please state your wishes in the letter.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended that certificates not be sent to a transfer agent for re-registering in the university's name. This procedure is unnecessary and may result in needless delays.
The University of Idaho Foundation will issue a gift receipt for your tax purposes. The value of your gift will be calculated by averaging.
Transferring marketable securities is an easy way to make a charitable gift to the University of Idaho. In all cases, you should notify the Foundation of your intended gift at 208-885-4000 or email@example.com