Sydney Freeman, Jr., Ph.D., CFD, COI
Sydney Freeman, Jr., Ph.D., CFD, COI
Senior Editor-in-Chief, Journal for the Study of Postsecondary and Tertiary Education (JSPTE)
COI, Certified Online Instructor, Learning Resources Network (LERN), 2016
CFD, Certified Faculty Developer, Learning Resources Network (LERN), 2012
Ph.D. Higher Education Administration, Auburn University, 2011
M.Ed. Higher Education Administration, Auburn University, 2008
B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies, Emphasis: Communication, Music, and Business, Oakwood University, 2007
Higher Education Leadership Foundation (H.E.L.F.) — Gamma Fellow, 2016
AAUA Robert MacVitte Emerging Leader Award, 2015
Auburn University’s Graduate School “Auburn Authors Award,” 2015
Affiliate of the Center for Minority Serving Institutions, 2013-present
Sydney Freeman, Jr., Ph.D., is an associate professor of Adult, Organizational Learning and Leadership at the University of Idaho. He is a former National Holmes Scholar, a certified faculty developer through the Learning Resources Network and an affiliate of the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Minority Serving Institutions. His research investigates the challenges facing higher education administration programs, specifically, higher education as a field of study and the university presidency. Freeman has published numerous journal articles and is the lead editor (with Linda Serra Hagedorn, Lester F. Goodchild, and Dianne A. Wright) of Advancing Higher Education as a Field of Study: In Quest of Doctoral Degree Guidelines (Stylus Publishing, 2014) which received the 2015 Auburn University Graduate School "Book of the Year" Award. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the American Association of University Administrators and was honored with the “2015 Emergent Leader of the Year” award by the same professional society. He serves on multiple academic journal editorial and review boards, including serving as managing editor of the Journal of HBCU Research + Culture. He also is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Journal for the Study of Postsecondary and Tertiary Education.
Higher Education as a Field of Study
Higher Education Executive Leadership Preparation
Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Preparation for the College and University Leadership before the Age of 40.
- Attracting and Retaining First-Generation College Students in the Rural Pacific Northwest: A Grounded Theory Study.
- Establishing a Philosophy of Higher Education as a Field of Study.
- Politics and Power in Higher Education: How Things Get Done.
- Advancing Scholarship through Peer-Mentoring: A Dou-ethnography.
- The 21st Century Role of the Academic Department Chair.
- Effective Higher Education Programs: A Faculty Perspective.
- Strategies for Enhancing the Status of Higher Education Leadership Programs within Colleges & Universities.
- Role Mentoring in Preparing Higher Education Program Graduates for the Presidency.
- Utilizing Multi-Grounded Theory in a Dissertation: A Methodology for Generating Theory.
- The Manuscript Dissertation: An Autobiographical Case Study.
- Preparation for the Historically Black College & University Presidency: 3 Case Studies.
- Freeman, Jr. S., Hagedorn, L., Goodchild, L. & Wright, D. (Eds). (2014). "Advancing Higher Education as a Field of Study: In Quest of Doctoral Degree Guidelines — Commemorating 120 Years of Excellence." Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Auburn University’s Graduate School “2015 Auburn Authors Award” winning book
- Bird, S. & Freeman, Jr. S., (accepted). Student Affairs Leadership Programs in the Trump Era. Journal of Critical Scholarship on Higher Education.
- Tomlinson, G. & Freeman, Jr., S. (in-press). Who Really Selected You? Insights into Faculty Selection Processes at Top-Ranked Higher Education Graduate Programs. Journal of Farther and Higher Education.
- Forthun, G. & Freeman, Jr. S., (in-press). Community College Leadership Preparation Programs: A Review of the Literature. Community College Enterprise.
- Forthun, G., & Freeman, S., Jr. (2017). Executive higher education doctoral programs in the United States: A demographic market-based analysis. Issues in Informing Science and Information Technology Education, 14, 1-19.
- Barnett, N. C., Freeman, Jr. S., & Freeman, M. L., (2016). A Brief History of Higher Education Graduate Programs at Minority Serving Institutions. Western Journal of Black Studies. 40(3), 3-19
- Commadore, F., Freeman, Jr. S., Gasman, M. & Carter, C. (2016) “How It’s Done”: The Role of Mentoring and Advice in Preparing the Next Generation of Historically Black College and University Presidents. Education Science, 19(6), 1-14.
- Freeman, Jr. S., Gasman, M., Commodore, F. & Carter, C. (2016). Leaders Wanted!: The Skills Expected and Needed for a Successful 21st Historically Black College and University Presidency. Journal of Black Studies, 6, 1-16.
- Freeman, Jr., S. (2016). Introducing the Journal for the Study of Postsecondary Education (JSPTE). Journal for the Study of Postsecondary and Tertiary Education, 1, 1-8.
- Findlay, H. J., Freeman, Jr., S., & Findlay, H. E. (2016) Generational and Fatal Leadership in a Time of Unprecedented Challenges and Changes. Journal of Higher Education Management. 31(1), 1-16.
- Freeman, Jr. S. & Diramio, D. (2016) Elitism or Pragmatism? Faculty hiring at top ranked in higher education administration. Journal of the Professoriate. 8(2) 94-127.
- Freeman, Jr. S. (2014) "Emerging organizational issues in higher education." Journal of Higher Education Management. 29, 1-3.
- Freeman, Jr. S. (2014). "Diverse organizational issues in higher education." Journal of Education Policy, Planning and Administration.1, 3-7.
- Freeman, Jr. S. (2014). "Strategies for Doctoral Students Who Desire to Become Higher Education Faculty Members: Implications for Practice." International Journal of Doctoral Studies. 9, 271-291.
- Freeman, Jr. S. & Gasman, M. (2014). "The Characteristics of Historically Black College and University Presidents and Their Role in Grooming the Next Generation of Leaders." Teachers College Record. 116, 1-34.
- Freeman, Jr. S. & Kochan, F. (2013). "University Presidents’ Perspectives of the Knowledge and Competencies Needed in 21st Century Higher Education Leadership." Journal of Educational Leadership in Action. 1, 1-20.
- Wolfe, B. & Freeman, Jr. S. (2013). "A Case Administrator of Color: Insights and Policy Implications for Higher Education’s Predominantly White Institutions." eJournal of Education Policy. 1, 1-11.
- Freeman, Jr. S. & Kochan, F. (2012). "Academic Pathways to University Leadership: Presidents Descriptions of their Doctoral Education." International Journal of Doctoral Studies.7, 93-124.
- Freeman, Jr. S. & Kochan, F. (2012) "The Role of Assessment and Accountability in Higher Education Doctoral Programs: A Presidential Perspective." International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation. 1, 1-13.
- Freeman, Jr. S. (2012) "The Future of Higher Education Preparation: Implications for Policy and Practice." Journal of Education Policy.1, 1-8.