Account Sponsorship FAQ
Sponsorship is the term used by ITS when a full time, board appointed employee agrees the sponsoree has legitimate work or academic reason to have a UI account. If the account is used for any purpose that violates the UI computer use policy, ITS will work with the “sponsor” concerning issues about the account.
A sponsored account is required when a UI account is needed and a record of employment, or enrollment, is not available through Human Resources or the Registrar. Sponsored accounts are also required for temporary help (TH) employees.
Unfortunately, due to how TH position records are maintained it is possible for the position to remain “active” long after an employee has left their position. Since this information is not accurate we are not able to use it to verify proper employment. For security and auditing purposes we require this additional level of accuracy and accountability.
The sponsor will need to send an e-mail from their official University of Idaho e-mail account to the Help Desk with the following information:
- The sponsors Vandal ID Number
- The sponsor’s phone number
- The Vandal ID Number of the person they would like to sponsor or information for a Vandal ID Number to be created (name, address, date of birth and alternate email address)
- The reason for sponsorship
- How long the sponsorship will last
Sponsored accounts for the University of Idaho can have any expiration date with up to 1 year at maximum. Sponsorship can be renewed by the sponsor as needed at anytime (including removing sponsorship or decreasing the sponsorship timeframe).
A sponsor can renew or modify sponsorship for an account in two different ways:
- By logging in to the Account Management site and clicking on the link titled Extend Account Expiration under the Account Utilities menu.
- Or by contacting the ITS Help Desk through e-mail from their official University of Idaho e-mail account, fax or campus mail a memo stating that the account sponsorship needs to be extended and how long the extension is needed.
The sponsor may request a temporary password be set for an account they sponsor by contacting the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-HELP. (4357).