University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn about UIRA

Category R Advanced Graduate Certificate

University of Idaho offers Category R as a means for professionals to obtain training and knowledge needed to become a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor. Category R is designed to provide professionals with a non-rehabilitation counseling graduate (i.e., master’s, specialist or doctoral) degree to become a rehabilitation counselor. Applicants need to have an advanced degree from one of the following majors: Behavioral Health, Behavioral Science, Disability Studies, Human Relations, Marriage and Family Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Psychology, Psychometrics, Rehabilitation Administration/Services, Social Work, Special Education, or Vocational Assessment/Evaluation. Students interested in this option may also want to review the CRCC website: Applicants will need to complete the following courses at University of Idaho:

  • RCHS 510: Assessment in Rehabilitation (3 credits)

  • RCHS 512: Theories and Applications of Counseling (3 credits)

  • RCHS 519: Social and Cultural Foundations (2 credits)

  • RCHS 530: Legislative and Philosophical Foundations in Working w/PWD (3 credits)

  • RCHS 531: Psychosocial Aspects of Disability (3 credits)

  • RCHS 532: Medical/Physical Aspects of Rehabilitation (3 credits)

  • RCHS 534: Rehabilitation and Community Case Management (3 credits)

  • RCHS 535: Vocational Placement and Assistive Technology (3 credits)

Employment requirement: Thirty-six months of acceptable employment experience as a rehabilitation counselor, including a minimum of twenty-four (24) months under the supervision of a CRC. Must be verified with documentation from employer(s) and/or supervisor(s). If employment criteria is met, but lacks CRC supervision, applicant must complete Provisional Supervision.

Provisional supervision: Is available ONLY to CRC Exam applicants who meet all other required educational and employment criteria but lack the required amount of acceptable employment under supervision of a CRC. CRC exam applicants who need to pursue provisional supervision will be required to complete and submit the Provisional Plan and Contract with their application packet, which also requires a signature from the CRC supervisor. Note: Internship course (no more than 6 semester hours) can be taken to complete this supervision requirement if you do not have direct access to a CRC supervisor. CRC exam applicant will be allowed 35 months from the time of their initial certification examination to complete provisional contract.

To apply, visit the Graduate Admissions Certificates page to access the online application system.


Mailing Address:
University of Idaho Boise Center
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702

Phone: 208-364-4047

Fax: 208-364-4078


Web: Boise Center


Mailing Address:
University of Idaho CDA Center
1031 N. Academic Way, Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

Phone: 208-292-2519

Fax: 208-667-5275


Web: CDA Center