Idaho WWAMI Pre-Med Mentoring Program
The path to becoming a doctor is long and arduous, which can be intimidating for a pre-medical student. With a focus on supporting students from underrepresented and/or disadvantaged backgrounds, the Idaho WWAMI Pre-Med Mentoring Program connects medical students with their undergraduate peers, building supportive near-peer relationships that help relieve some of the confusion and stress of pursuing a career in medicine.
Deadline to apply: October 16, 2020
Apply early! There are a limited number of mentors, so placement will be based upon the order in which applications are received and the eligibility criteria outlined below. If the enrollment maximum is reached, students may be placed on a wait list and will be contacted if a mentor pairing becomes available.
All pre-medical students are eligible to apply. However, priority will be given to students from underrepresented populations and/or disadvantaged backgrounds and students who are at Junior/Senior standing or 2nd year community college students during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Attend program orientation (Zoom meeting, date/time to be determined)
- Collaborate with your mentor to develop a list of goals based upon your needs
- Be on time for all scheduled meetings with your mentor
- Notify your mentor as soon as possible if you are unable to attend for a reason such as illness, etc.
- Respond to all communications from your mentor in a timely manner (e.g. within 72 hours)
Note: Inability to fulfill mentee responsibilities, including repeatedly missing meetings, may result in removal from the Idaho WWAMI Pre-med Mentoring program so that other applicants might have the opportunity to participate.