One of the most popular of all 4-H livestock projects, swine (pigs) are intelligent, versatile farm animals. In these projects become familiar with and apply the recommended principles of swine animal science. Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices. Develop integrity, sportsmanship, decision-making capabilities, and public speaking skills by participation in demonstrations, tours, and exhibits.
For Market Swine
, raise one or more barrows or gilts for market, exhibiting and selling at the fair.
With Breeding Swine
, own and care for one or more sows or gilts for at least 90 days before exhibiting.
In a Non-Animal Swine
project, you can benefit from many aspects of a livestock project without actually owning the animal.
- Market Swine | pdf |
- Breeding Swine | pdf |
- Non-Animal Swine | pdf |
Some counties may have additional requirements. Contact your 4-H leader or county extension office
to learn more.
Optional Supporting Materials
- 4-H Animal Project Record Book | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Involvement Report | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Permanent Individual Animal Record for each project animal | pdf |
- 4-H Project Record Book for Non Animal Project | doc | pdf |
- The Incredible Pig, Level 1*
- Putting the Oink in Pig, Level 2*
- Going Whole Hog, Level 3*
- Swine Helper’s Guide*
- 4-H Market Livestock Evaluation System*
- Beef, Sheep, and Swine Selection and Evaluation | pdf |
- Market Swine Growth Chart | pdf |
- Swine Resource Handbook for Marketing and Breeding Projects*
- Idaho 4-H Livestock Costs and Returns Estimate | pdf |
- Swine Showmanship DVD*
*Available through your county extension office