Learn about the selection, breeding, nutrition, management, showmanship, and health requirements of a pygmy goat, an increasingly popular pet. Care for one or more pygmy goats for at least 90 days before exhibiting. Become familiar with and apply the recommended principles of livestock animal science. Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices. Develop integrity, sportsmanship, decision-making capabilities, and public speaking skills by participation in demonstrations, tours, and exhibits.
Some counties may have additional requirements. Contact your 4-H leader or county extension office
to learn more.
Optional Supporting Materials
- 4-H Animal Project Record Book | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Involvement Report | doc | pdf |
- Permanent Individual Animal Record | doc | pdf |
- Getting Your Goat, Book 1*
- Stepping Out, Book 2*
- Showing the Way, Book 3*
- Individual Pygmy Goat Information* | pdf |
- National Pygmy Goat Website: http://www.npga-pygmy.com
- Pygmy Goat Youth Project Guide*
- Youth Project Guide Advisor’s Manual*
- Goat Resource Handbook—Ohio*
*Available through your county extension office