These unique mammals hail from South American, where they were domesticated centuries before being brought to North America.
In the Llama/Alpaca
project, provide complete care for a llama or alpaca for at least 90 days. Among other topics, learn about equipment safety, raising and training llamas, and their different uses in recreation.
In a Non-Animal Llama/Alpaca
project, you can benefit from many aspects of an animal project without actually owning the animal.
- Llama/Alpaca | pdf |
- Non-Animal Llama/Alpaca | pdf |
Some counties may have additional requirements. Contact your 4-H leader or county extension office
to learn more.
- 4-H Llama/Alpaca Activities Checklist, Level One | pdf |
- 4-H Llama/Alpaca Activities Checklist, Level Two | pdf |
- 4-H Llama/Alpaca Activities Checklist, Level Three | pdf |
- 4-H Animal Project Record Book | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Involvement Report | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Permanent Individual Animal Record for each project animal | doc | pdf |
Optional Supporting Materials
- Leaders Manual for 4-H Llama Activities*
- 4-H Llamas: Llamas & Alpacas Book 1 (Indiana)*
- 4-H Llamas: Llamas & Alpacas Book 2 (Indiana)*
- 4-H Llamas: Llamas & Alpacas Book 3 (Indiana)*
- 4-H Llamas: Llamas & Alpacas Helper’s Guide (Indiana)*
- Llama & Alpaca Resource Handbook (Ohio)*
- Rocky Mountain Llama Association 4-H Manual (www.rmla.com)
*Available through your county extension office