Learn about feeding, nutrition, and dairy cattle management, and the principles of producing quality milk and milking procedures. Develop a record-keeping system for milk production, health, and feeding. Develop integrity, sportsmanship, decision-making capabilities, and public speaking skills by participation in demonstrations, tours, and exhibits.
For Dairy Cattle
, care for one or more dairy cattle for at least 90 days before exhibiting at the county fair.
In a Non-Animal Dairy Cattle
project, you can benefit from many aspects of a large animal project without actually owning the animal.
- Dairy Cattle | pdf |
- Non-Animal Dairy Cattle | pdf |
Some counties may have additional requirements. Contact your 4-H leader or county extension office
to learn more.
Optional Supporting Materials
- 4-H Animal Project Record Book | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Involvement Report | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Permanent Individual Animal Record for each project animal | doc | pdf |
- 4-H Project Record Book for Non Animal project | doc | pdf |
- Cowabunga!, Book 1*
- Moving Ahead, Book 2*
- Rising to the Top, Book 3*
- Dairy Cattle Helper’s Guide*
- Dairy Heifer Growth Chart*
- Monitoring Dairy Heifer Growth, Penn State
- Dairy Resource Handbook—Ohio*
*Available through your county extension office