National 4-H Congress recognizes and promotes excellence in the 4-H Youth Development program. Those attending National 4-H Congress will enjoy workshops, cultural events, community service projects and sightseeing.
Held in Atlanta, Georgia each November, Idaho usually sends 10-15 delegates. All delegates are sponsored by state and local donors who cover registration and lodging costs. Delegates help pay for travel expenses, estimated at $500, depending on amount of donor support and cost of airline tickets.
Idaho 4-H applications must submit National 4-H Congress Application Form #91801, two letters of reference, and complete an interview. Interviews will be scheduled after applications have been received in the state 4-H Youth Development office. Interviews will no longer be conducted at Teen Conference. Complete application packets must be mailed or emailed to the state 4-H Youth Development office, postmarked by July 3 or emailed by midnight on July 3. As each delegate must have their application approved by a county Extension educator, applicants should allow time prior to the deadline for approval by the county office.
Idaho 4-H members who have passed their 14th birthday, but not their 19th birthday, on January 1 of the program year and who have not previously attended National 4-H Congress may apply. Applicants will use the 4-H Project & Activity Summary section to highlight their achievements in one or more of their strongest project areas. All applications will be considered for non-specific sponsored trips and any specific sponsored trips offered in a project area included in the 4-H Project & Activity Summary section. Sponsorships are offered for 4-H members who have achieved excellence in the following project areas:
- Dairy Cows (sponsored by the United Dairymen of Idaho)
- Dairy Foods (sponsored by the United Dairymen of Idaho)
- Horse (sponsored by the Idaho Youth Horse Council)
- Beef (sponsored by the Idaho Beef Council and the Idaho Cattle Association)
- Sheep (sponsored by the Idaho Wool Growers Association)
- Swine (sponsored by the Idaho Pork Producers)
- Remaining delegates in any project area (sponsored by the Idaho Friends of 4-H)
- National Congress Application | fillable pdf |
- National Congress Application Tip Sheet | pdf |
- National Congress Application Instructions | pdf |
- National Congress Application Evaluation Standards | pdf |