The School of Journalism and Mass Media offers Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees in these four majors:
- Broadcasting and Digital Media
- Public Relations
These degrees are also available as minors. Please note that students may not major and minor in JAMM or declare a double JAMM major. Students are encouraged to major in one JAMM major and declare a second major in a different department. If you are a JAMM major and wish to declare a minor, it also needs to be from a different department.
Our accrediting body, the Accrediting Council for Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) limits students to no more than 48 credits in journalism and media courses. The remaining 80 credits must be earned outside of JAMM, and 65 of those must be in the liberal arts and sciences. Because our majors require at least 42 credits and our minors soon will require 21 credits, it would be impossible to earn both a major and minor within JAMM without exceeding the 48-credit ceiling.
JAMM degrees require nine credits of JAMM electives. That means, theoretically, that as an advertising major, you could take three public relations courses (nine credits) and acquire valuable PR skills without exceeding the limit. However, you will need a 21-credit minor or emphasis area outside of JAMM in a field of interest to you in order to graduate.
Additional degree requirements to note:
- Courses must be taken in sequence and all courses are not offered every semester.
- It is not possible to complete any JAMM sequence in one year.
- JAMM 100 and 121 are offered every semester and are programmed prerequisites for all JAMM classes. You will need to complete these two classes before taking other JAMM classes.
- To register for Internship, Practicum or Directed Study, you must first fill out forms and receive department approval.
- A minimum cumulative university grade-point average of 2.50 is required for a JAMM degree.
These classes are required for all JAMM majors:
- Comm 101 Fundamentals of Public Speaking (2 cr)
- JAMM 100 Media and Society (3 cr)
- JAMM 121 Media Writing (3 cr)
- JAMM 341 Mass Media Ethics (3 cr)
- JAMM 448 Law of Mass Media (3 cr)
Two of the following concept courses:
- JAMM 340 Cultural Diversity and the Media (3 cr)
- JAMM 377 Documentary (3 cr)
- JAMM 378 American Television Genres (3 cr)
- JAMM 379 Hollywood Portrayals of Journalists (3 cr)
- JAMM 440 Critical Issues in Mass Media (3 cr)
- JAMM 443 Media Management and Economics (3 cr)
- JAMM 444 Mass Media and Public Opinion (3 cr)
- JAMM 445 History of Mass Media (3 cr)
- JAMM 465 Political Advertising (3 cr)
- JAMM 490 Global Media (3 cr)
Plus 9 elective JAMM credits (3 credits of 300- or 400-level classes)