University Housing

Main Office
1080 West 6th St.
Moscow, Idaho
Mailing Address
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2010
Moscow, ID 83844-2010

Main Office Phone:
(800) 681-9361
Local Phone: (208) 885-6571
Fax: (208) 885-6606
General Email

Summer Office Hours: May 19-August 15, 2014
Mon-Fri: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

Academic Year Office Hours: August 15, 2014-May 15, 2015
Mon-Fri: 8 am-5 pm

After-Hours Emergencies:
LLC 24-Hour Desk 
(208) 885-7379


University of Idaho has a large and growing international student population, and many choose to live with University Housing. We make it easy to live and learn at the University of Idaho by providing all your living needs in one location so you can focus on being an active and engaged student. We have prepared a simplified housing guide to help international students feel comfortable while moving in and living on campus. If you have any questions, need clarification, or want help knowing what is the best option for you, please feel free to email us at housing@uidaho.edu.
  • Staff & Assistance

    Resident Assistant (RA)

    Each floor in the Residence Halls has a Resident Assistant (RA) who is a Housing student staff member that will help guide you through your time at the University of Idaho. RAs plan events and ensure the safety of students on their hall, but are also important resources in helping you feel comfortable. Your RA can help answer questions about Housing, campus life, or resources at the University of Idaho. Your RA is also a great resource in helping you with roommate issues or concerns about your living space.

    Professional Staff

    University Housing has a dedicated team of professionals to support you. We are here to keep you safe in a comfortable living environment that will help you succeed academically. Our RAs are supervised by live-in professionals that can work with you one-on-one as well as a team working in the University Housing Office on the 2nd floor of Wallace to support you.

    LLC 24-Hour Desk

    Our 24-Hour Desk, located between LLCs Syringa and Mosaic, can help you with any emergencies or questions about Housing. If you’re locked out of your room, have an emergency in the halls, or simply have questions about life on campus, come to our desk and we’ll help you out! You can also call the 24-Hour Desk at (208) 885-7379.

    Custodial & Maintenance

    If there are any custodial or maintenance concerns with your room, such as broken furniture, burnt out light bulbs, or plumbing issues, you can contact our team which will work to address the problem within 72 hours. You can submit a service request through Vandal Web.
  • Apply

    ID & Password

    Before applying for Housing, you will need to set up your University of Idaho account online. Follow the steps through Vandal Setup to get started.

    Apply for Housing

    It is quick and easy to apply for Housing through our online portal. Once you have set up your NetID and password, you can log-on and fill out a simple application. Before selecting a room, we ask that you pay a $250 deposit that will be refunded at the end of the year if you have no damages to your room. After paying the deposit, you can view all open rooms in the residence halls and choose where you would like to live. Once you have confirmed your space, you can view information about your new roommate or suitemates. If you would like to room with a friend, simply sign up for Housing at the same time and search for open spaces together.

    Switching Rooms

    You can change your room choice through our online portal until July 31st. Simply cancel your current room assignment and search for a new room in the residence halls. Please note that you can only search for rooms if you cancel your current assignment, which means your old room assignment will be available for other people to take. You can contact our office to find out where rooms are available before cancelling your current assignment.

    If you are unsatisfied with your living situation, please contact your Resident Assistant who will guide you through the process of changing your living space or making your current living space more comfortable.


    The cost of living in Housing will automatically be charged to your University of Idaho student account. All charges for the semester should be paid before or on the first day of the semester. You may set up a payment plan with the University through VandalWeb to pay monthly installments on your bill.
  • Agreement


    An Online Housing agreement and a detailed handbook highlight your rights and responsibilities while living in the residence halls. These documents will help to clarify what behavior is expected in the residence halls.


    All of our residence halls require you to swipe your student identification card (Vandal Card) to enter the building. For some rooms on campus, you will be given a key during check-in to enter your room. For others, you will use your Vandal Card and a code to enter your room. When you check-in, we will be sure to explain how to use your Vandal Card and keys. If you misplace or lose your key, you may receive a temporary or new key at our 24-Hour Help Desk.

    Room Condition Form (RCF)

    When you move in, a Room Condition Form should already be located in your room. We ask you to fill out this form with information about the condition of your room and turn it in to your Resident Assistant(RA). This form will insure that you are not charged for any preexisting damages when you check out at the end of the year. Please fill it out and turn it in within three days of moving in.
  • What To Bring
    For many international students, bringing living items from home can be difficult and expensive. Fortunately, there are affordable and convenient options to purchase most goods locally. We’d suggest packing as light as possible for your arrival and purchasing goods while in Moscow or shipping items to your campus address.  Bed, Bath, and Beyond across the street from the residence halls, is a recommended location to purchase your housing needs. Bed, Bath, and Beyond will also allow you to purchase items online and pick them up from their store in Moscow. You can also easily purchase and mail goods to your campus address 10 days before you move-in.

    View our What to Bring Lists for recommended items that you will need while living on campus.
  • Dining & Cooking


    All first-year students are required to have a meal plan to eat on campus, while many of our students choose to have a meal plan for the convenience. A meal plan gives you a certain amount of meals that you can eat on campus per week or per semester. You will need to choose your meal plan while you're applying for University Housing.  Your meal plan will also be charged to your student account like your Housing bill and tuition.

    The main on-campus dining hall is located on the first floor of Wallace Residence Center, while a variety of dining options, cafes, and a convenience store are located throughout campus. If you have specific dining needs, Vandals Dining has a Registered Dietitian who will work to find meal options suitable to your diet. Vandals Dining will work closely with students who come from different dietary backgrounds and preferences to make sure that there are options available that are suitable to your background and preferences. Our residence halls are also a ten minute walk from downtown Moscow, which features a large variety of restaurants.


    Food can be stored in your room and your mini-fridge (equipped in every room). Wallace and McConnell have full-service kitchens in their basements, while our Living Learning Communities each have a kitchen on the first floor. We ask that you keep food and cooking utensils in your room to avoid theft (or in your locker in the LLCs). A grocery store, Winco, is conveniently located across the street from our residence halls on the corner of Pullman and Farm Road, and is only a ten minute walk from our residence halls.
  • Location & Transportation
    The University of Idaho is located in the center of Moscow, and living on campus allows you quick and convenient access to the University and Moscow community. Most locations on campus can be reached within a 15 minute walk from our residence halls. There are also free buses that travel throughout Moscow.  The West Route picks up students in front of Wallace and the LLCs and will drop students off at WinCo, a large grocery store that is also accessible by walking. For more information on transportation at the University of Idaho, view our transportation options.
  • Technology


    All residence halls are already set up with wireless connections. To log in, simply choose the AirVandalGold network and log in with your NetID and password. University Housing also works with ResNet, an on-site technical support team offering free services to all residents. ResNet can assist you with a variety of computer related issues, such as connecting your devices to the internet, identifying hardware issues, and ensuring your connection stays secure and reliable.

    Computers & Printing

    All students are provided with 250 pages of printing each semester, and additional pages only cost $0.05. Each of our residence halls are set up with Student Computing Labs, which have computers for your use as well as printers. For more information about printing, check out our self-help guide.
  • Winter & Summer Break

    Winter Break

    Our Living Learning Communities(LLCs) and apartments are open all year long. Wallace, McConnell, and the Tower, however, close for Winter Break as do the majority of dining options on-campus. If you’re interested in on-campus housing over Winter break, we have a limited number of spaces for winter break housing available. Please email us at housing@uidaho.edu or visit the housing office on the second floor of Wallace Residence Center for more information and to reserve a space for winter break housing.

    Summer Break

    University Housing contracts conveniently end at the end of the academic year for students that don't live in Moscow in the summer. However, our residence halls remain open during the summer for residents who would like to stay in Moscow. We will send out communications in the spring semester detailing costs and how to apply for summer housing.

    For international students who will not be staying over the summer, you are welcome to use storage space that we have available in each residence halls. To reserve storage space, contact your Resident Assistant.
  • Other Services


    Every room on campus has a designated mailbox in the basement of Wallace or if you live in our Living Learning Communities, in our 24 Hour Desk. Packages can also be sent to your on-campus address. Your address will be sent to you before you move in, or you can contact us at housing@uidaho.edu. Please note that we cannot receive packages before your move-in day.


    Common spaces (such as lounges, kitchens, and hallways) in our buildings are cleaned by our staff, as well as the bathrooms in Theophilus Tower and McConnell. You will be expected to take out your own trash, clean your own room and bathroom, and pick up after yourself in community spaces.


    Washers and dryers are free in all of our buildings. You will need to provide your own soap and dryer sheets. Ask your RA on which floor your nearest laundry room is located. Please remember to change your laundry quickly so others may use the laundry machines.


    There are garbage and recycling containers outside all of our buildings. Please take out your garbage frequently, especially if they contain food, to maintain a comfortable living space. Ask your RA where you can find a garbage container.

    Fire Alarms

    Fire alarms are located throughout our residence halls in the case of a fire. Please note that pulling these alarms will alert the Moscow Fire Department who will respond automatically. Please remember that it is illegal to pull an alarm falsely or to remain in the building when the alarm has been pulled. Please exercise caution when pulling the fire alarm and vacate immediately in the case of an alarm.

    Smoking & Alcohol

    Smoking is not allowed within any of our residences or apartments. Per University regulations, please do not smoke within 25 feet of any building on campus.

    The legal drinking age for all alcoholic products is 21 in the United States. In the state of Idaho, individuals under the age of 21 may not purchase or consume alcohol legally in any case. If you are 21, you are only allowed to drink alcohol in your room if all other occupants are also 21.

    Quiet Hours

    To respect your neighbors' sleeping time, quiet hours are from 11pm (12am on Friday and Saturday) to 7am. During this time, doors should be closed and volume should be kept to a level that cannot be heard from outside of your room. Outside of quiet hours, feel free to leave your door open while you're in your room: it is a great way to meet people and to feel like you're at home.

    Resident Assistants do nightly rounds of the buildings to ensure they are cleaned and well-maintained, and will also be aware of any noise or safety violations during these times.