Are you new to campus and looking for a great opportunity to get involved? The Women’s Mentoring Program is currently recruiting mentees for the 2013-2014 academic year!
The goal of the Women's Mentoring Program is to help first-year and transfer women students build close relationships with upper-division students, and assist them in developing social and academic skills, as well as the necessary support system, to successfully continue on in college. Peer mentoring has been proven to positively impact college students' overall success. Having a personal mentor to support, guide, and encourage you in your first year of college can include the following benefits:
- Being introduced to new friends, activities, organizations, and networks of support
- Advice on how to balance classes, social life, and other responsibilities
- Increased self-confidence and self-discipline
- Individual recognition and encouragement
- Honest criticism and informal feedback
- Advice on how to interact in a variety of professional settings
- Making contact with leaders in your discipline
- Information on campus and community opportunities and resources
- A perspective on long-term career planning
The Women's Center will be hosting an informational/social for interested students to learn more about the mentoring program. The social will be held in the Women's Center lounge in Memorial Gym room 109 on Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 6:00 p.m.
Light refreshments will be provided.
The Women's Mentoring Program mentee application can be found at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/wmp. Applications will be accepted no later than Friday, Sept. 6.