Life-transforming ideas have always come to me through books.
The Women's Center library is connected to the larger University system so you can check out items here with your student ID. We have over 3,000 books and DVDs on a variety of topics that are relevant to women and gender studies. Topics include feminism, sexual assault and violence prevention, women's health, novels, family issues, art, LGBTQA issues and women's history. We are obtaining new books on a regular basis. If you have a title you'd like to suggest we acquire, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our library contains more than 75 DVDs of documentaries, films, and videos of key presentations at the University. Below is a small selection of the DVDs we have. Come to the Women's Center to see our complete collection.
- Dying to be Thin
- Iron Jawed Angels
- Carnival Knowledge
- The Date Rape Backlash
- UI Women's Center 40th Anniversary Celebration: Gloria Steinem Keynote Address
- Freedom to Marry
- The Abortion Diaries
- Born into Brothels
- Killing Us Softly
- Life of Sojourner Truth: Ain't I A Woman?
- Tough Guise
- Be Nice! Women and the Politics of Nice
- Middle Sexes: Redefining He and She
- The Motherhood Manifesto
The Women's Center also subscribes to a variety of alternative magazines. Copies are available to read in the Women's Center lounge:
- Bitch: Provides commentary on our media-driven world from a feminist perspective.
- Bust: For women with something to get off their chests.
- Mother Jones: An independent nonprofit magazine whose roots lie in a commitment to social justice implemented through first rate investigative reporting.
- Ms.: More than a magazine - a movement.
- The Advocate: The award-winning GLBT news source.
- Venus: Coverage of women in music, art, film, fashion, and D.I.Y. culture. Published quarterly and distributed internationally, the magazine features interviews with edgy musicians and up-and-coming artists and fashion designers, along with reviews of CDs, films, and books.