Celebrating 40 Years of Working for Gender Equity
This academic year, the University of Idaho Women’s Center is celebrating 40 years of working for gender equity!
The Women's Center was founded in 1972 to address the high attrition rates of female students on campus. Since then, the Women's Center’s role and purpose has evolved to include a breadth of programming and outreach that addresses the contemporary issues U-Idaho students are now facing. Women's Centers exist because gender equity has not been achieved in any country around the world.
Women still earn less than their male peers, with women of color facing an even larger pay gap. Women hold fewer tenured faculty positions and continue to be underrepresented in many fields, which has a direct impact on female students within our own colleges and departments. During the Fall 2012 semester, we hosted a series of special programs honoring the hard work of the many individuals and groups who have been involved in creating and sustaining the Women's Center over the past four decades.
40th Anniversary Events:
- Friday, August 24, 2012 - Women's Equality Day Celebration & Feminist Fair, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Idaho Commons Plaza, U-Idaho campus, Moscow.
- Monthly throughout the Fall 2012 semester: Women's History Brown Bag Series (click on link for more details).
- Friday, Sept. 21, 2012 - 'F-Word LIVE!" slam poetry performance, 7:00 p.m., Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, 508 S. Main Street, Moscow, ID.
- Tuesday, Oct. 2 - Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2012 - Prichard Art Gallery presents "Postures of Power"
- Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 - Gloria Steinem, Keynote “Women's Legacies, Inspiring Our Future”, at 7:30 p.m. PT on Oct. 4 at the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, 1000 Stadium Way in Moscow, ID. Free and open to the public, followed by a facilitated question-and-answer period. The event also served as the keynote for the Athena-Women’s Center biennial Women’s Leadership Conference, which was held throughout the day on October 4 on the U-Idaho Moscow campus.
- Friday, Oct. 5, 2012 – Fundraising Luncheon with Gloria Steinem at 12:00 p.m., 1912 Center, 412 E. Third Street, Moscow, ID.
- Friday, Nov. 9, 2012 - Women’s Center Gala Celebration, 7:00-11:00 p.m., 1912 Center, 412 E. Third Street, Moscow, ID. Tickets available for purchase at the Women's Center and online.
For more information on the Women’s Center, Gloria Steinem’s visit and related events, please visit the Women’s Center’s website, or contact the Women’s Center at (208) 885-6616 or email@example.com.