Current Policy Link:
Proposed Addition to Current Policy:
Notes: It is the intention of the University of Idaho that effective Aug. 24, 2015, all University of Idaho properties will prohibit the use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, snuff, snus, water pipes, pipes, hookahs, chew, and any other non-combustible tobacco product.
Reason for Policy:
The University is obligated to provide a clean and healthy environment for all students, employees and visitors. A tobacco-free campus policy will:
- Protect people from unwanted and involuntary exposure to passive smoke and other tobacco related substances, particularly those with pre-existing health conditions
- Promote cessation and create a supporting environment for those trying to quit tobacco use
- Overall, create a cleaner learning and working environment
- Decrease costs and personnel resources related to tobacco litter clean-up
- Decrease initiation of tobacco use among students
- Promote tobacco free lifestyles as a social and health norm
Tobacco and smoking related products- all tobacco-derived or tobacco containing products including, and not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, pipes, and oral tobacco (e.g., spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff) and nasal tobacco (e.g. snus) or the smoking of any other substance.
University of Idaho Property- Buildings, grounds, and land that are owned by the University of Idaho.
University Vehicles- include all licensed vehicles owned, leased or rented by or for the University of Idaho.
Check out our Facebook
page for updates!