Christine Berven, Ph.D.
Department of Physics
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2002
B.A., Whitman College, Physics, 1989
M.S., University of Oregon, Physics, 1991
Ph.D., University of Oregon, Physics, 1995
Charge and thermal transport in nanomaterials
After receiving her Ph.D. from the University of Oregon, Dr. Berven moved in 1996 to the University of Notre Dame to be a research associate in the department of Electrical Engineering to work on using single electron transistors to create Quantum Cellular Automata circuit elements. In 1998 she became a research associate at Dartmouth College where she studied single charge transport in chains of gold nanoparticles and taught several courses in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. She arrived at the University of Idaho in 2002 to study nanosensors and charge transport in nanostructured materials. She was promoted to Associate professor and granted tenure in 2008 and is currently working on charge and thermal transport in nanomaterials.
- “Experimental Study of Electrical Properties of ZnO Nanowire Random Networks for Gas Sensing and Electronic Devices,” D. Zhang, S. Chava, C. Berven, S.K. Lee, R. Devitt, V. Katkanant,Applied Physics A 100 145–150 (2010)
- “Towards Practicable Sensors Using One-Dimensional Nanostructures,” Berven, C.A. and Dobrokhotov, V.V. Int. J. Nanotechnology 5 402-449 (2008) Invited Review Article
- “Transport Properties of Hybrid Nanoparticle-Nanowire Systems and Their Application to Gas Sensing,” Vladimir V. Dobrokhotov, D.N. McIlroy, M. Grant Norton, and Chris Berven,Nanotechnology 17 4135–4142 (2006) [one of top 10% most popular downloaded manuscripts from IOP]
- "Band Structure Changes of Single Wall Carbon Nanotubes by the Presence of an Ionic Shell," Vladimir V. Dobrokhotov and C. A. Berven,, Physica E 31 (2) 160-164 (2006)
- “The Effect of Self-Capacitance on the Tunneling Thresholds in Linear Arrays of Nanoparticles,” C.A. Berven and M.N. Wybourne, Appl. Phys. Lett. 78 3893 (2001)
- “Defect-Tolerant Single Electron Charging at Room Temperature in Metal Nanoparticle Decorated Biopolymers,” C.A. Berven, L. Clarke, J.L. Mooster, M.N. Wybourne, J.E. Hutchison,Adv. Mater. 13 109 (2001)