academic standing information

Academic Standing

Academic Standing Regulations: Please review Regulation L (Academic Standing, Probation, Disqualification and Reinstatement) in the University of Idaho General Catalog:

Academic Status - Probation

If a student’s cumulative UI GPA falls below a 2.00, that student is placed on Academic Probation. Probation is a serious matter and a student on probation is required to meet with his advisor before the probation hold is removed from his VandalWeb account. Prior to meeting with his advisor, a student must complete and bring to the meeting an Academic Plan and write a 1-2 page paper for which:

  • The student identifies what he believes are the reasons for his poor academic performance;
  • What strategies the student believes will be useful to improve his academic performance;
  • The student specifically addresses how he will incorporate those strategies into his Academic Plan for the upcoming semester.

Probation students are expected to meet regularly with their advisors. Advisors may make referrals to Academic Support and Access, Math Center/Polya, Writing Center, or the Counseling and Testing Office, as examples of support services offered at the University of Idaho. The Academic Plan form is available on the Registrar’s Web site under Forms, Academic Plan.

Audio Transcript–Academic Standing With Probation Status

NOTE You may be invited to attend the Student Options Advising Retreat (SOAR) offered in January. For details and registration information refer to SOAR.

  • How will I know if I'm on academic probation?
    You will receive an email from the Registrar’s office stating that you have an important message in VandalWeb.
  • What can I expect after logging into VandalWeb?
    You will have access to a detailed letter from the Registrar explaining what paper work must be completed. This includes an Academic Plan and a paper reflecting your performance from last term and new strategies to become more successful in the coming semester.
  • My paperwork is done, what do I do now?

    Contact your advisor to make an appointment to meet to discuss your academic plan.

  • What other information should I know?

    Students on probation have a “probation hold” placed on their VandalWeb account. Students will be unable to add, drop or change classes until the Academic Plan and essay have been discussed with the student’s advisor. At that meeting, the probation hold will be lifted.

Academic Status - First Disqualification

First Disqualification: If a student fails to obtain a minimum 2.00 GPA for the semester she is on probation, she will then be placed on academic disqualification. The University recommends a student on first academic disqualification to sit out one semester to help her clarify academic and personal goals. After a one-semester leave from school, the student is allowed to return on Academic Probation to the University. However, if you believe your situation is such that you will be able to improve your academic performance without the one-semester leave, you may petition to be reinstated to the college.

Note: The Registrar’s Office will drop students from their next semester’s classes if those students on academic disqualification are not reinstated by the deadline.

Academic Reinstatement Process: The process to petition for reinstatement from a first academic disqualification is the same process as for Academic Probation. 

To be considered for academic reinstatement a student must meet with his academic advisor. Prior to that meeting, the student must fill out an Academic Plan and send it to his advisor. The plan must address the following:

  1. Provide an honest, thoughtful explanation of the reasons for your disqualification and a realistic plan for correcting your status.
  • What are your academic goals? Your personal goals?
  • List honest, specific reasons why you did not do well academically last semester (or when you were last enrolled) especially when you knew you were on academic probation.
  • What are the steps you have taken and will take to ensure this situation will not happen again?
  • What have you learned from this experience?
  • List campus resources that you will use to help reach your target academic goals.
  • Do you work? If so, how many hours do you work per week?
  1. Tell us what your plans are if your petition does not pass. What will you do if you are required to sit out next semester?
  2. If you are granted reinstatement, you will be required to meet regularly with your advisor who will be monitoring your academic progress.   

Academic Status - Second or Third Disqualification

It is difficult to be reinstated immediately following a second or third academic disqualification.  The College of Natural Resources Petitions Committee generally requires a student on second or third academic disqualification to sit out at least a semester to evaluate his personal, academic, and career goals. The committee is more likely to approve a student’s petition for reinstatement after a student has used the semester leave from the University to take courses at a community college to prove to himself and to the committee that the student is academically, emotionally, and physically prepared to succeed at the university.

To petition for academic reinstatement from a second or third academic disqualification, follow the same process as for a first academic disqualification (see above). After the student has met with his advisor, the student must schedule an appointment to present his petition in person to the College of Natural Resources Academic Petitions Committee. Contact the Student Support Center to schedule an appointment with the committee.

Third Academic Disqualification: A student must successfully petition the CNR Academic Petitions Committee for reinstatement from a third academic disqualification before that student can proceed to the next step in the process, which is to petition the University of Idaho Academic Petitions Committee for reinstatement to the University of Idaho.  It will be the University of Idaho Academic Petitions Committee that makes the ultimate decision to reinstate a student on his third academic disqualification. Petitioning the University of Idaho Petitions Committee for reinstatement is a separate petitions process.  Contact the Student Support Center for the petition form and directions how to petition the University Academic Petitions Committee.