One of the best assets that the College of Natural Resources (CNR) has in drawing in prospective students, are its current students. Student Ambassadors provide a personal and meaningful touch to the college. Drawing upon their personal experiences as high achieving students and the intensive training they receive, ambassadors are able to inform prospective students and families about all facets of the College of Natural Resources at the University of Idaho including academic programs, student club opportunities, faculty, scholarships, and other student services. Their knowledge and enthusiasm inspire our youngest students in kindergarten to high school students and beyond to belong to a college where unique hands-on learning in innovative classroom settings and research is a fundamental aspect of the educational experience.
- Learn about the needs of prospective students and their families and develop positive relationships
- Educate others about the opportunities and programs at the University of Idaho & the College of Natural Resources and inspire them to enroll
- Always be sincere, positive, dependable, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and motivated
- Distinguish ourselves as leaders and professionals on campus and in the community through continuous learning, cooperative participating, and meaningful interactions.
Being a student ambassador is an honor and distinction, since only a small number of students are selected from the best in the college. Student ambassadors receive unparalleled opportunities to develop communication and leadership skills and are one of the first to be called upon to represent the college when engaging with prospective students. Through a 400-level natural resource course, ambassadors receive academic credit and ongoing training to cultivate skills they will utilize their entire life. They broaden their networks by making connections with faculty, staff, teachers, and other community members. By sharing their personal experiences and knowledge, they have influential relationships with prospective and new students and their families as well as enhance their resume and gain community outreach and programming experience.
Key Roles of the Student Ambassador
The student ambassador team represents the College of Natural Resources in a broad scope of capacities including:
- Providing information at college and high school events such as career or job fairs, orientations, symposiums, conventions, conferences, or other recruitment functions
- Engaging K-12 and high school student groups with hands-on activities that showcase the natural resources programs and professions
- Conducting tours of the College of Natural Resources building
- Presenting to high school classrooms in Idaho and throughout the Pacific Northwest
- Assist with the organization and development of recruitment materials, events, and presentations
- Participate in other speaking engagements representing the university, college, and its programs
- Assist in advising and registering new students
New Student Ambassador-Veterans Liaison
- Provide information and resources to new and continuing students who are also veterans
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of the college’s veteran-student population