Join a Chapter

Stay connected with your alma mater by contacting your local chapters and clubs. More

Join us on LinkedIn

Alumni Offices

Moscow Office

University of Idaho Alumni Office - Moscow
Physical location:
1212 Blake Ave.
Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3232
Moscow, ID 83844-3232
(208) 885-6154
(208) 885-6975 (fax)

Boise Office

University of Idaho Alumni Office - Boise
322 E. Front Street, Suite 390
Boise, ID 83702
(208) 364-4030
(208) 364-4084 (fax)

Then and Now - History Across Campus

Then and Now Features

With 125 years rooted in the rustic Moscow, Idaho, community, there is an abundance of history on the University of Idaho campus. More than 100,000 alumni have passed through its halls, creating lasting memories along the way.

Here you will find stories showcasing campus landmarks, featuring memories from the Vandals that lived them. These features are also part of the alumni newsletter, the Vandal Vibe.


Kibbie Dome
Kibbie ASUI Activity Center and Neale Stadium: 1936 to present
It touts a 4.1-acre roof. Each truss holding it up weighs 23 tons. And the 400-foot arched clear span earned it a national architectural achievement award. Campus icons are plentiful at the University of Idaho – but none are quite as prominent or well known as the Kibbie ASUI Activity Center.
» Continue Reading
Administration Building
Administration Building: 1889-1907 to present
Walking into her father’s office was like walking through a time warp. From iron railings, concrete columns, the smell of linseed oil and creaks of wooden floors into ultra-modern times. The new carpet and wood paneling was super chic in 1965 when Katharine Washington became a frequenter of the University of Idaho Administration Building.
» Continue Reading
Niccolls Building
Niccolls Building: 1952 to present
Betty Sawyer ’72, ’77 remembers a lot about her years on the University of Idaho campus. She remembers where she was seated in the Administration Auditorium when her husband John first winked at her, and she wasn’t allowed to wear slacks on campus until one harsh winter. While other classmates had to trek across campus, Sawyer had a short walk from Hays Hall to her classroom hub in the Home Economics Building – known today as the Mary Hall Niccolls Building.
» Continue Reading
Hays Hall
Hays Hall: 1927 to present
A lot has changed over the years in the University of Idaho's Gertrude L. Hays Hall dormitory. Now home to the Office of Alumni Relations, Creative Services & Print Management, and Navy ROTC, the building was first built in 1926 as a women's dormitory - home to about 125 Vandals a year.
» Continue Reading
Student Union Building: 1936 to present
During his five-year stay at the University of Idaho, Richard Stiles ’65 said he spent most of his time in the “living room” of campus – the Student Union Building. Between acting as vice president of the Associated Students of the University of Idaho, SUB building committee manager and SUB program manager, along with pursuing his master's in education, Stiles said he rarely had reason to leave his college home away from home.
» Continue Reading
Memorial Gym
Memorial Gym: 1928 to present
In 1956, when Weldon Wood ’60 wasn’t cleaning out the whirlpools in the University of Idaho football training rooms or refereeing intramural games, he was wrapping the ankles of future Vandal NFL success stories. Assisting soon-to-be Green Bay Packers guard Jerry Kramer and Detroit Lions linebacker Wayne Walker was all in a day’s work for the basketball recruit at Memorial Gymnasium.
» Continue Reading
Gamma Phi Beta
Going Greek Since 1901: Campus' first national sorority and fraternity
Senior Kelsey Matthews comes from a family of Vandals - her father was a Sigma Nu, mother and grandma were Delta Gammas, and her aunt and cousin were Gamma Phis. Even before high school graduation, Matthews' future was clear. </br>“If I was going to go Greek,” she said, “I was going to Idaho.”
» Continue Reading
Marching Band
Forever the Sound of Idaho: Vandal Marching Band since 1903
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night could keep Robert Spevacek’s Vandal Marching Band off the field. In 1963, when Idaho took on the University of Washington, the team used giant snowballs to mark the hidden yard lines to stay in form. Or in the 1980s, at a high school marching contest in Spokane, Wash. - there was an inch of rain on the field, but that didn’t keep the auxiliary team from doing splits as part of its act.
» Continue Reading
Willis Sweet
Willis Sweet Hall: 1936 to 1980s
When Richard Johnston came to the University of Idaho in 1950, there were four men to every woman on campus, and only one of those men owned a car. Having a set of wheels didn’t ensure your Friday night date, but it certainly didn’t hurt. Add his 192 housemates, and competition got steeper. Johnston lived in campus’ then largest all-male dormitory - Willis Sweet Hall.
» Continue Reading
Targhee Hall
Targhee Hall and Campus Club: 1958 to present
University of Idaho students have Wayne Lunday ’79 to thank for their warm winter months by the fire in Targhee Hall. The stone fireplace was built in the residence’s large communal living room by Lunday and his father in the summer of 1976 – including the fabricated hood and hole cut into the roof.
» Continue Reading
Wallace Residence Center
Wallace Residence Center: 1963 to present
With two large study rooms and a central bunk-bed sleeping area, there was a lot of space in the University of Idaho Wallace Residence Center’s original layout for students to exercise their inner interior decorator. Sure, students could sleep in the center room – or they could do what Eric Eldenburg ’75 did in 1973 and drag the mattresses out, cover the room in black-light posters and crank the stereo.
» Continue Reading
Theophilus Tower
Theophilus Tower: 1969 to present
The Theophilus Tower, named after University of Idaho President Emeritus Donald R. Theophilus, is home to 416 students each year. When its construction was completed in 1969, the 12-story building was among the tallest buildings in the Northwest.
» Continue Reading